Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acting Corporal Cyril FE ROUND 1196609

Thanks

Default Acting Corporal Cyril FE ROUND 1196609

Good afternoon,

I am wondering if I might be able to get some help understanding my grandfathers service record - I apologies in advance that the images are not great (apparently the condition of the image from which it is taken is poor).

I've tried to learn what I can from online resources, but not everything makes sense - especially the hospital parts (I think they are) at the start - unless that was for assessment etc?

I can understand his classification, Aircraftman 1,2 etc - although confused why it dropped down to 1 then AC, then he got A/CPL..

The exams and special qualifications confuse me, as do the mustering!?

I understand the ACSEA (Air Command South East Asia) as this tally with some pictures we've seen of him in a fetching hat and shorts :-) But it doesnt seem like he was there for long, and then there is a big gap from 08/45 to 04/46 with him being listed as in 68 MFH I think? (but i don't know what the adu means in the column 'from'.

I be really grateful of any help so i can put more of a story around what he was doing. Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Hi rounduk,

welcome aboard.
    I am afraid the photos you mentined has not been included in your post.
    Please visit
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...torial-Updates
    and read the tutorial which would help you to add your pictures into the Forum gallery and linked them to your post.
    If you will have any problems please do not hesitate to ask for further assistance.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Not sure if my browser is playing up, have tried Chrome and Edge but really struggling even after reading the guide :-/ Hopefully this link to the album works...

Click Here
    Last edited by roundyuk; 29th August 2018 at 21:57.

Thanks

Hi roundyuk, yes the gallery is accessible via the link and the pictures quite readable.
    I am pretty sure that some other members would be able to help you soon with understanding of your grandfather's service record.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello

I haven't looked at the pictures, but MFH is usually Military Field Hospital.

ADU in capital letters is normally Air Delivery Unit, but not sure if that's the meaning here.

Joss

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roundyuk View Post

I can understand his classification, Aircraftman 1,2 etc - although confused why it dropped down to 1 then AC, then he got A/CPL..
    AC 2 was the lower of the 2 ranks - so the normal progression would have been ...

AC 2 (Aircraftman 2nd class)
    AC 1 (Aircraftman 1st class)
    LAC (Leading Aircraftman)
    CPL

He would have had to drop rank to progress from being an Aircrafthand/Flight Mechanic to qualifying as a Fitter,an airman could progress up to LAC as a Flight Mechanic but would then become a trainee (U/T = under training) to undertake a Fitters Course to qualify as a Fitter.I do not know if they would have taken a cut in pay whilst under training.

An LAC Fitter was a respected rank in those days as they were usually quite experienced and also highly qualified tradesmen (and classified as a Fitter rather than a mechanic).

He started off as an Aircrafthand/Flight Mechanic - in 1943 he was sent on his 'Fitters Course' and became an LAC Engine Fitter.

I joined the RAF in 1970 as an apprentice and I qualified as an 'Airframe Fitter' but a few years later we were reclassified as 'Technicians',at that time there was a big difference in pay/job description between being an Aircraft Mechanic and being an Aircraft Fitter/Technician.

rgds baz
    Last edited by bvs; 30th August 2018 at 15:19.

Thanks

bvs,

Aircraftman, Please!

Col.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    bvs,

Aircraftman, Please!

Col.
    Many thanks Col - shocking spelling on my part - I have edited my post accordingly :)

rgds baz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bvs View Post
    Many thanks Col - shocking spelling on my part - I have edited my post accordingly :)

rgds baz
    Thanks for the additional info, really appreciate the help!

I've been doing some reading for the squadrons he was with, initially looks like he would have been working on fighters and then with the move to 298 squadron the Halifax - assume the skills from the Merlin engine made you pretty transferable?

Does anyone know what the change from 298 Sqdn in '43 to 3146 SF (Station Flight?) and 6298 SF would have been? Are they divisions within 298 Sqdn?

I noticed the move to Henlow, which I think is RAF Henlow which would have been a maintenance unit for fixing damaged aircraft at the time.

He seems to go from 181 Sqdn to 2 SofTT and then 3088 SE ?? - Not sure what SE means? Its strange how sometimes they seem to list Sqdn numbers and then other times just looks like locations, super confusing :-D

Really enjoying the journey of discovery! My father is trying to get hold of some pictures of my Grandfather which I'll add to the album as soon as I can!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roundyuk View Post

Does anyone know what the change from 298 Sqdn in '43 to 3146 SF (Station Flight?) and 6298 SF would have been? Are they divisions within 298 Sqdn?
    Could it have been 6298SE ? (6298 Servicing Echelon),the Servicing Echelons were formed to provide engineering teams for the Sqdns which could be more mobile than a purely Sqn based system of Flights/Engineering Flights,often the Sqn number was included in the 'SE' number.So that might fit for 3088SE as well ?

Administratively each Sqn would have A,B and sometimes C Flight - each commanded by a Flight Commander (either a Flight Lieutenant or Sqdn Ldr depending on whether Fighter or Bomber Sqn and also how late in the war).At the start of the War almost every Sqn was commanded by a Sqn Ldr and this continued with the day fighter sqns but Bomber Command eventually had Wing Commanders running the Sqns with Sqn Ldr as Flight Commanders.
    Last edited by bvs; 31st August 2018 at 07:15.