Thread: Joint USATC-RAFFC Transatlantic Air Traffic Control

Thanks

Default Joint USATC-RAFFC Transatlantic Air Traffic Control

Hello all,

Anyone with experience reviewing files on this subject at TNA? Trying to get a handle on the combined US-RAF set-up at Gander, Newfoundland, which opened in May 43 inside the Ferry Command hangar. I have a couple files from TNA on the matter that are detailed on the set-up at Prestwick (including diagrams) and other UK airfields, but unfortunately little to no mention of the set-up on this side of the pond. Tks!

Regards,

Darrell

Thanks

Hi,
    You may find some information at the link below to the RCAF Gander Daily Diary and station Magazines. May 1943 starts at image 472.
    http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...86/472?r=0&s=3

Alan.

Thanks

Thanks Alan. My review of both the RAFFC and RCAF Gander diaries and USAAF base unit history has revealed only cursory reference. Likewise with the RCAF and USAAF base magazines. Appreciate you responding to my post!

Darrell

Thanks

Darrell,
    You may recall this was a subject I had an interest in.
    Have not had an another opportunity to research the subject further at Kew. However, I wonder if these files might be of some use to you. My sources were the research notes of the late Air-Britain researcher Peter Berry.

AIR 29/467 1942 Apr-1946 Mar
    RAF Ferry Command Gander Unit (Newfoundland Canada), later 83 Staging Post (appendices including a station plan).

AIR 29/473/1 1941 Aug-1946 Apr
    Transatlantic Air Control (TAC), Prestwick (UK)

AIR 29/473/2 1941 Oct-1944 Sept
    Transatlantic Reception Party, Prestwick; later became Air Despatch and Reception Unit (ADRU), Prestwick (UK)

Also possibly......
    AIR 25/646, (Record books)
    AIR 25/647 & 648 (Appendices).

I imagine they are in bound volumes and may therefore need copying with a digital camera.

Hope this may just provide a useful lead, Tony Broadhurst

Thanks

Hi Tony,

I do recall now your interest in the subject! I have copies of AIR 29/467, but again, only passing reference to the subject. I had the other two references on TAC/Prestwick bookmarked at TNA. Incidentally, AIR 38/170 is specific to joint USAAF-RAFFC transatlantic control. I had the file digitally copied and discovered it's specific to the UK. Consequently, I'm hesitant to order the other files. Tks!

Darrell