Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Blenheim 11 Sqdn collision on 5th April 1943 over Burma - Matheson and Besley

Thanks

Default Re: Blenheim 11 Sqdn collision on 5th April 1943 over Burma - Matheson and Besley

In the end, who's fault was it for the collision?

Thanks

Default Re: Blenheim 11 Sqdn collision on 5th April 1943 over Burma - Matheson and Besley

Quote Originally Posted by tankengine888 View Post
    In the end, who's fault was it for the collision?
    Hi there,
    My personal opinion is that neither of them were to blame. I believe the accident was caused by a series of circumstances. If I focus on the starboard side of the formation and what both Matheson and Besley said, here is what I think.
    The aircraft are in formation, then line up for the bombing run. They reform, and then line up a second time for a bombing run. They reform again and then form for the third time for a bombing run. Now focus on the starboard aircraft in Vic 2, the starboard aircraft in Vic 3 and the starboard aircraft in Vic 4, plus the lead aircraft in Vic 3.
    The Vic 2 aircraft peels off to return to Feni, Besley moves up from Vic 3 to take his place. He has to go faster than Matheson, and rise twenty feet to Vic 2. At almost the same time, Anderson of Vic 4 now moves to Vic 3, also going faster and also having to rise 20 feet. Then Besley is starting to turn left, while Matheson is now turning right. Besley has to pass over Matheson to form up for the bombing run.
    My belief is that the updraft has been totally disrupted and Matheson’s plane is lifted into the bottom of Besley’s plane by an air current, in an instant. The accident occurred because of circumstance.
    Another possibility is that the Japanese fighter did in fact hit one of the aircraft. We think it was propaganda on the part of the Japanese. But, could it have happened? Yes. Did it happen? What we do know is that one Japanese fighter was shot down, by the cover above the bombers, and the Japanese pilot claimed to have shot down two aircraft. He died shortly after. Possible, but not probable. And lastly, did Matheson’s plane develop a problem? He didn’t say anything about that, but could it have happened? We will never know. My belief is that the air currents caused the accident. Others may have totally different ideas.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Robinmargaret; 3rd December 2020 at 12:11.