Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Blenheim 11 Sqdn collision on 5th April 1943 over Burma - Matheson and Besley

Thanks

Default Re: Blenheim 11 Sqdn collision on 5th April 1943 over Burma - Matheson and Besley

Quote Originally Posted by tankengine888 View Post
    Okay, summarized,
    Georges Father never served
    is there a way I can find the photos, I looked at the site, though I never used it, I didnít find it, if thereís a link Iíd like it. Also thatís not the email, thatís the site address. Anyways long story short can I find the photos online, if so link etc.
    also Iíd like to research this David Taylor, would you know when he enlisted, service number, etc.
    let me know if I missed anything.
    Regards,
    Z. McNamara
    Those 3 photos are the only ones I know about. The copies are in the Queensland museum. You have to go to the website to find the Contact the Museum form, but it looks like it is still down. Two of the photos are in the booklet. The one on the cover and one on page 21. The third one was not suitable to reprint using desktop publishing.
    David Herbert Taylor
    DOB. 27/07/1917
    Place of birth Adelaide South Australia
    Date of Death. 2003
    Service number 407370
    Parents Frank Harold Taylor and Edith Taylor.
    I really donít have anything else to tell you. The Registrar of births, deaths and marriages in South Australia, may be a place to find some information.
    Kind regards, Robin.

Thanks

Default Re: Blenheim 11 Sqdn collision on 5th April 1943 over Burma - Matheson and Besley

Hi Robin,

I am dropping your registered email. Would appreciate that booklet. Also if you have any specific photos you want me to upload, I will do that in the current folder on the gallery.

I have to say this is an amazing trip from 1943. I wonder if the internet will make it easy and put us in touch with folks on the ground today.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jagan For This Useful Post:

Robinmargaret (26th November 2020)

Thanks

Hi Jagan, I have sent some photos so hopefully you have received them. There is a pic of a map. You can see a Red Cross where the accident was. I need to take a picture of a map Bill Matheson drew. They are incredibly similar.
    I was reading Simon’s words that you posted and I went a little further back, and some were discussing a runway that they could not find. I think they said it was 21 degrees north and 96 degrees east which is pretty much the crash site.
    On that map the 20 degree line is the line showing beneath Yamethin. Along that line about another degree east is a town called Kyidaunggan and I wondered if that was the place they were looking for. It could be a totally silly idea for what it is worth. Anyhow, stay safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
    Regards
    Robin
    Last edited by Robinmargaret; 26th November 2020 at 13:57.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Robinmargaret For This Useful Post:

Jagan (26th November 2020)

Thanks

Hi there again.
    I have taken photos of the three pictures of George Foster from David Taylor and I have sent them to be uploaded in the gallery here. Hopefully they will be clear enough. When I have scanned the booklet that will be uploaded as well. Hope it all works out.
    Cheers
    Robin

Thanks

Robin,

I was going over the emails you had sent and will upload them here shortly.

One of the images narrating his encounter with the Burmese Student in Australia, who knew about PAUKTAW village must have been a real moment - this was the era prior to the internet - imagine Ted having access to the information that we have today - including those one inch maps , Google Earth imagery..

Thank you for keeping the conversation and memories going!

Thanks

Uploaded all the photos here:

http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries...ted-Collection

The Crew Members

Besley Andrew[*] Foster Matheson Wixted Appleton

The 1993 Expedition - Photos of the Engine Cowlings at Pauktaw, older grave site, etc.
    [*] 1993-PauktawVisit01[*] 1993-PauktawVisit02[*] 1993-PauktawVisit04[*] 1993-PauktawVisit03

Other Photos - Maps, Cover of the booklet. A sheet from Nippon Times.. Photos of Foster.
    [*] ReturntoBurmaCover Map[*] Robin020-BurmeseStudent[*] Stumm[*] Robin021-MapNotation[*] Robin016 NipponTimes[*] Foster01[*] Foster02
    Last edited by Jagan; 26th November 2020 at 20:34.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jagan For This Useful Post:

Robinmargaret (27th November 2020)

Thanks

Hi Jagan, What an excellent job you have done. Thank you so much.
    The Nippon Times was a propaganda leaflet given to Bill Matheson, thus it is written in English.
    With regard to the internet, Ted only decided to make the booklet in June and had it finished by 8 August. His outgoing correspondence, copied, alone is clipped together and is over an inch thick. Added to that were the numerous phone calls to trace people and then also visiting, Harvey Besley. What took him a matter of weeks over June and July, could have been accomplished in a much shorter time by scanning and downloading photos, a zoom meeting with Harvey and anyone else, all correspondence by email and the availability of other photos of his brother, which he had never seen. As a researcher, he was amazing. He has written several books about aviation and I have seen the enormous amount of paperwork used for checking, double checking and rechecking for the best information possible, and then returning all resources loaned to him for his books. There is so much more, but I shall stop here.
    Cheers
    Robin
    Last edited by Robinmargaret; 27th November 2020 at 03:06.