Thread: Hawker Typhoons and rocket firing - a question

Thanks

Default Hawker Typhoons and rocket firing - a question

Hello everyone

A quick question about Hawker Typhoons and a load of eight 60lb rockets. I understand they could be fired in pairs, or fired as a full salvo of all eight rockets fired together. My question is, if the pilot opted to fire in pairs, could he choose to fire just one pair, leaving the others still on the aircraft available for another target. Or would all eight be fired off as a 'rippled' salvo, with one pair straight after the other?

(I think that makes sense...!).

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon, what an interesting question!
    I am not bale to give you a definitive answer, but I became also interested:-)

So far I have checked view Youtube movies and it looks like always the whole salvo of 8 rockets were fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgx8z-QBtGk

Also I cannot imagine how technically would be solved possibility to allow pilot fire 4 pairs when he wants... And how would be selected which pair would be fired as first, second, etc.?

Hope someone else would be able to clear up this for us.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Pavel, and I'm glad to have piqued your interest! :-)

The video on YouTube shows a Typhoon firing pairs of rockets at a time,a dn it looks like the outer ones fired first, then the next inner etc. As you say, it would add another level of complication to select just two to fire, but a possibility, perhaps...?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

I'm pretty sure pairs could be fired separately. I would image the selector was something like ALL, 1, 2, 3, 4. A ripple would need click-fire, click - fire etc. I'm sure I have seen an R/P selector box photo somewhere but Google may help.

I don't know how the tiered rockets would work, but I think that was late in the war or just after.
    Last edited by PNK; 6th September 2018 at 11:42.

Thanks

Indeed Simon:-)

Yes you are right, but when I have seen it few times I have doubts that all 8 RPs are fired like a salvo. It looks more like manual firing in pairs.

Anyway I have contacted our Czech expert on Liberators and he told me that on Liberators (and I am pretty sure the same would be for Typhoons) you were able to fire RPs:
    1) one by one
    2) in pairs
    3) salvo

So there must be a small panel to allow selection of the requested manner.

Pavel

Thanks

I do not know if the same for all Marks but this Typhoon (or perhaps Tempest ?) cockpit photo has an R.P Selector for 'Pairs' and 'Salvo'

Last edited by bvs; 6th September 2018 at 12:16.

Thanks

Thanks BVS for great photo. I was trying to find it too but you have beaten me:-)

So we know that the pilot was able to fire RPs in pairs but which pair was the first? Was there some rule? I suppose the outer ones should be always first to go...

Pavel

Thanks

Typhoon RP could only be fired in pairs or salvo but with a deft bit of finger work a manual ripple could be achieved. I believe at a later stage, possibly post war on Tempests, a ripple switch was added. It was indeed normal to fire the outer pair first and work inwards. This info comes from former Typhoon pilots, alas no longer with us.

When training rounds (concrete heads) were loaded it was common to load only one of each pair so as not to waste rounds. In the last weeks of the war anti-personnel RP were in common use and were often paired with HE/SAP, so a mixed pair was delivered with each shot.

Thanks

Many thanks for all the very helpful replies everyone - all your help is very much appreciated.

Regards

Simon