Thread: 129757, F/O Charles Paynter Ellis, died 21-04-1943

Thanks

Default 129757, F/O Charles Paynter Ellis, died 21-04-1943

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to locate the cause of death of the above-named Officer, who died on the 21st of April 1943. Google throws up nothing, he's not in Chorley's RoH, and he's not listed on the relevant page of "Unaccounted Airmen". He appears as far back as 1938 in the LG, in amongst pages of various (mostly) Post Office employees: -

In the LG issue for July the 8th 1938, the following entry is made on page 4409: -
    "In pursuance of the Provisions of His Majesty's Order in Council of 22nd July, 1920, the Civil Service Commissioners hereby announce the undermentioned Appointments, Promotions, Transfers, etc. (including Assignments to the Clerical Class, etc.), for the month of June, 1938: "
    There then follows pages and pages and pages of entries for various personnell under various clauses and subclauses, and then, on page 4424, the following entry: -
    "UNDER CLAUSE 10 (c) -OF THE GENERAL REGULATIONS. WITHOUT COMPETITION: -
    Skilled Workmen, Charles Paynter Ellis"

I don't have my KRs to hand, can anyone shed any light on what "Clause 10 (c)" is?

Thanks all, in anticipation of any help you can offer.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Greg, Hi,
    "Clause 10 (c)" has, I suspect, no connection with KRs! It will be some regulation (probably in the ‘Promotion Sect’) in the Civil Service Regulations. When I changed from being an “Unestablished Civil Servant” to being an “Established Civil Servant” it was formally announced under those same Regulations – even though I was employed, at the time, by the Met Office (which was a civilian arm of the Air Ministry). The detailed Met Office Regulations were, I think in AP 3229 (my memory fades!). Claims were made using AP 1414 as the authority!
    Your man appears in the LG:-
    5th June 1942. 1318970 (1311745-1325000 Oxford 01-Nov-40 to 31-Aug-41(?) Sgt Charles Paynter ELLIS Cmd RAFVR (GD) Plt Off (p) (129757).
    He also appears in Malcolm’s RAFWEB:-
    21 Apr 43. He was killed whilst flying in Hudson V, AM807 of No 1 (C) OTU, which crashed in the North Sea off the East coast. He is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.
    Alongside him are EYRE, JOHN CROWTHER (R/98540) and SPAFFORD, WILLIAM MARSHALL (R/95683). Their Canadian files may give more details?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Runnymede Memorial Panel 124.

Son of Charles and Gwendoline N. Ellis; husband of Lilian Ellis (nee Caffrey), of Kensington, London (married 2nd quarter 1940).

If his DoB was 15 Sep 1915, then he was visiting the Hotel Metropole Esplanade, Ventnor, Isle of Wight in 1939, occupation S W I Post Office Engineering Department.

Thanks

Chaps,

Many thanks for the replies and gen. Since I posted the original question, it has come to light that, in common with a number of GPO telephone engineers, he was employed in the devlopment and use of Chain Home and Chain Low.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945