Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Leading Aircraftsman 1268926 William Henry Flood

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Leading Aircraftsman 1268926 William Henry Flood

    I'm trying to find out where and when Leading Aircraftsman 1268926 William Henry Flood enlisted. I would be interested if anyone has a photo of him.
    He was born 22/06/1912 Droxford, Hampshire and died 08/01/1943. I have also been unable to ascertain the circumstances of his death or where he was stationed.

    Son of John Rawle and Emily Lilian Flood of Swanmore Farm Cottages, Bishops Waltham, Hampshire

    Husband of Elsie Maud Flood of 42 Woodcote Lane, Fareham, Hampshire

    Any help very much appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northumberland, UK
    Posts
    3,690
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 62 Times in 59 Posts

    Default

    Hello

    Aircraftman William H. Flood (no 's' in Aircraftman!) - death registered Chippenham, Wilts. Recorded as 'Died on Active Service' in Casualty Communique No. 246, Flight Magazine, June 24th 1943, page 676. There isn't a unit recorded on the Graves Registartion Report Form.

    See also:

    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...irmen-8-1-1943

    Regards

    Simon

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Simon and sorry for the typo!

    Am I missing something, but other than the other forum topic being for 08/01/1943, I'm not sure what I am looking at.

    HTSCF

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm still trying to tidy this one up. Can someone please help by providing any links to documents online that may assist?
    It would be useful to know who he was attached to as well.

    Many thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,602
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    HTSCF, Hi,

    If he was DOAS then we may be looking at an RTA, or illness?
    The only other “unknown” RAF death on 8 Jan 43, in UK (not attributable to a flying cause) on CWGC is that of 1113952 Cpl A Yates-Dutton (perm Sta poss Pembrey?), but his death Reg in Llanelly, so likely no connection?
    Beginning to look like a singular event? DC will tell. I may just (rpt just) have a Flood Family contact who might (rpt might) know who the family historian is? Will update if/when.

    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,459
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

    Default

    What is being suggested is tgat since he was listed as a Died on Active Service you likely will need to get either his death certificate to get actual cause of death.

    He most likely will have died of natural causes or a car or bicycle accident in the black out for example. Something like that.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

    Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    See SE History Boards forum. They strictly cover Kent, Sussex and Hampshire but I'm sure they will step outside those boundaries for once. Their researchers are experts on this stuff and I bet they'll get you a quick answer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    HTSCF, Hi,

    If he was DOAS then we may be looking at an RTA, or illness?
    The only other “unknown” RAF death on 8 Jan 43, in UK (not attributable to a flying cause) on CWGC is that of 1113952 Cpl A Yates-Dutton (perm Sta poss Pembrey?), but his death Reg in Llanelly, so likely no connection?
    Beginning to look like a singular event? DC will tell. I may just (rpt just) have a Flood Family contact who might (rpt might) know who the family historian is? Will update if/when.

    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Thanks Peter, fingers crossed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    What is being suggested is tgat since he was listed as a Died on Active Service you likely will need to get either his death certificate to get actual cause of death.

    He most likely will have died of natural causes or a car or bicycle accident in the black out for example. Something like that.
    Thanks Dennis.
    I agree that this remains a very strong possibility.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapdealer View Post
    See SE History Boards forum. They strictly cover Kent, Sussex and Hampshire but I'm sure they will step outside those boundaries for once. Their researchers are experts on this stuff and I bet they'll get you a quick answer.
    Thanks Scrapdealer.
    I have to admit that I have no knowledge of this forum. I've had a quick look on Google and get some bizarre forum results, but not the one you mention. Are you able toprovide a link?

    Many thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •