Thread: Leading Aircraftman Percival Albert Mutton 1717467 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Thanks

Default Leading Aircraftman Percival Albert Mutton 1717467 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Hello,

I have strong reason to believe the Leading Aircraftman Percival Albert Mutton 1717467 of Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, is my biological grandfather. To get the proof I need I need to determine which squadron he served in.

What I know is upon his death on 15 July 1946 he was apart of the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (It is stated on his Commonwealth War Grave). To be my grandfather he would have to be stationed at RAF Castletown during October 1940, my father was born 19th Jul 1941.

From researching RAF Castletown I know that both Sqn 3 and Sqn 232 were stationed there during that time. I am leaning towards Sqn 3 as they were based at RAF Castletown in the latter half of the month through to the new year, which is closer to the time of conception.

I have downloaded off the national archives the Squadron Number: 3 Records of Events (AIR 27/32/28) and Squadron Number: 3 Summary of Events (AIR 27/32/27), to see if I might see any mention of his name as clarification that he was in Sqn 3, but no such luck.

Does anyone have any advice/ideas of how I might find out what squadron Percival was in. Through research I know that all enlisted men continued to serve under their auxiliary conditions of service until they expired when they were required to transfer to the RAFVR, so he may not have been RAFVR for the entirety of his service. I also found a newspaper article about him in 1918 when he was 17 years old, stating he stole money from a laundrette he worked at, to pay to travel from London to Southampton to try and enlist into the army after being rejected in London once they discovered his real age. This leads me to doubt he would have originally signed up to be a reserve.

At the time of the breakout of WW2 According to the 1939 register Percival was a Telephonist PBX living in London and does not appear in any register again until 1945 again in London.

Many thanks

Cathy

Thanks

Percival Albert Mutton and his wife Mary were living at 80 Plender Street, South East Pancras, Camden in 1939

Thanks

Cathy you need to apply for his service record it will let you his whole service history and the times he served in various units

Someone will surely be along soon to tell you how to apply for it

Paul

Thanks

Cathy, Hi and welcome to the forum.
    You should get his Service Record. Follow https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records. Takes about 5 weeks to arrive. It will be full of acronyms/short-forms, etc, etc. There will be many on the forum who will help you to decipher them!
    His RAFVR Service Number (1717467) is in the Block 1700001-1800000. This is in the Deferred Service block. These numbers were allocated to men who had reached Conscription age but who were finishing a degree course, an apprenticeship, City & Guilds courses, etc, etc. Their actual 'call-up' for military service was deferred until they had finished their further education.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 20th September 2018 at 10:50. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thank you for all your responses. They are very helpful. Very interesting to learn about the deferred service as I didn't know about that.

Many thanks again

Cathy

Thanks

Hi Cathy,

Have you seen this thread on RAF Commands? http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...men-15-07-1946 . It doesn't directly answer your question but #4 might provide a link.

Brian

Thanks

I am just filling out the form to request Percivals services records and have two questions.

As he died on the 15th July 1946 and has a commonwealth war grave, does that me he died in service so I don not need to provide a copy of his death certificate?

And also for the life of me I cannot find the address of where I am meant to send the application.

Thank you for the link Brian, it was actually after taking an Ancestry DNA test to aid in my genealogy research that I discovered the man who was believed to be my grandfather wasn't, due to a very close DNA match to Percivals nephew. Through other matches I narrowed it down to the mutton side as as they are all from Luton, Percival is the only one who had the opportunity to be in Castletown in October 1940, as it's not the most popular tourist attraction.

Many thanks

Cathy

Thanks

Cathy,

Having applied on numerous occasions for WW2 service records, you don't need to include a copy of his death certificate as he 'died in service'. In such cases I have always included a copy of the relevant CWGC entry to prove this - but I have a feeling that I am being over zealous.

You need to fill in 2 forms from the Gov.UK site. The first is the generic request form (with your details) and the second is the RAF specific form (with the subject's details). The latter has the address on the top for the RAF Disclosures Cell at Cranwell.

The instructions for submission and the forms are here:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records

Rgds

Jonny
    Last edited by jonny; 21st September 2018 at 08:21.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Thank you for your help. I put the details of his war grave on the application, but I will print and enclose the commonwralth certificate as well for extra measures.

Thank you again

Cathy

Thanks

Cathy,

As an aside, the current turn-around for service records is approx. 5 weeks from receipt of the application. Please do remember to include the 30 cheque!

Best of luck

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.