Thread: New book on Dam Busters just released in Canada

Thanks

Default New book on Dam Busters just released in Canada

Hi All,
    Ted Barris is a Canadian author who has written many books on military subjects. His latest is a new look at the Dam Busters raid, highlighting the Canadian contribution, which he notes, was not even mentioned in the 1955 film, although most of the other countries involved were. He traced a surviving member of 617 Sqn and interviewed him and the family members of many others.
    There were 30 Canadians among the crews, 14 of whom did not return. Another Canadian connection in the story is Max Aitken, Lord Beaverbrook, who helped get Churchill interested in the scheme.
    Ted just recently spoke at the Central Ontario Branch Western Front Association, of which I am a member (which is where I am spending most of my time these days, editing their branch magazine The Maple Leaf).
    Here is a link to the video interview I did with Ted, this past Saturday, talking about his book:
    Ted Barris Dam Busters Interview
    Last edited by dfuller52; 24th September 2018 at 02:44. Reason: grammar
    David

Thanks

Hey gang,

I just picked this book up and am 1/4 way in. I can highly recommend this one. So far the main characters are receiving their due, but the emphasis is most definitely on the aircrew, particularly the Canadians. That being said, it looks to be of great interest not only to Canadians, but anyone who is interested in the make up of that particular mission, and for that mater anyone interested in Bomber Command, be they Australian, British, American, whatever.

I'm looking forward to completing it this weekend.

Kenny Horne
    Edmonton, Canada