Thread: Warrant Officer N Hall, 1503810

Thanks

Default Warrant Officer N Hall, 1503810

Recently I was browsing around a flea market when I found a Sight Log belonging to 'Warrant Officer N Hall'. Obviously I couldn't resist buying it, and then trying to find out more about this Navigator.
    So what I have is:
    1 Elementary Air Observer School (EAOS) in UK ?
    Shipped out to South Africa as part of the EATS
    41 Air School, East London, Collondale
    4 (Observer) Advanced Flying Unit, West Freugh, Wigtownshire
    19 Operational Training Unit (OTU), Kinloss, Morayshire on the Armstrong-Whitworth Whitley
    Crew of F/Sgt Franklin Tees McCutcheon, RCAF
    1658 Conversion Unit, Riccall, North Yorks, on the Handley Page Halifax
    51 Squadron, Snaith, Yorks, 4 Group BC.
    Aborted first operation due to mechanical trouble, and shot down by Flak on second - Leverkusen, 19/20 Nov,1943. McCutcheon and the Flight Engineer were killed, the other 5 members of the crew bailed out and were captured (F/Sgt Hall being reported as wounded).
    Spent the rest of the War in Stalag IVb, Mühlberg.
    His address in December,1945 is given as 30 Spencer St, Heaton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
    So, does anyone have any information on W/O Hall or his crew ?
    In particular I'd like to learn W/O Hall's first name - all the references I've found are simply to 'N.Hall'.
    Any help gratefully received. ;-)

Thanks

Hello Stirrick,
    I haved moved your post to the GENERAL forum where it will receive more attention.
    Looking over the information you have, it would help if you have a service number and any dates to put against the various postings of W/O Hall. This will allow people with the ORBs to go straight to relevant months instead of a longer trawl.

Good luck with the research.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hello

A perusal of Air 78/68 comes up with HALL, Norman, 1503810.

Bill Chorley's BCL 1943 has him on board Halifax II HR950 MH-S which was lost on the 19/20th November 1943.

The Newcastle Chronicle of January 4th 1944 reported the following:

PRISONERS
    News has been received by Mrs. Kirton, of 18, Spencer Street, Newcastle, that her brother, Sergt. Navigator Norman Hall, R.A.F. (22), who was reported missing, is a prisoner of war in hospital. His wounds are slight.

Note her address is the same street. I think 18 may possibly be a typo, as the 1939 Register has Halls and Kirtons living at 80, Spencer Street.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 26th September 2018 at 12:47.

Thanks

If anyone has access to a Kellys Directory for the area +/- a couple of years it may show whether 18 is a typo or whether the family spread out a little, not uncommon at that time.
    Local libraries are the first place to look for a Kellys.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Thanks for that, Simon.
    Norman !!! Finally got his first name.
    I had found Thomas Hall in the 1939 Register, but since I was unaware of the 'Kirton' link I couldn't be sure that it was the same family: Lena Hall married Joseph Kirton in Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1923.

Andy

Thanks

My Father was Bomb Aimer John B. Walker and went down with Norman (Knocker) Hall. Both were in Stalag Luft IVB. I have quite a bit of information including the reason for the aborted mission

Thanks

Hello Gordon

Welcome to the Forum. It would be interesting to hear any details of the crash. And why Hall was known as 'Knocker'...!

The R.C.A.F. Service File for the pilot of HR950, F/Sgt. Franklin Tees McCutcheon, includes a P.o.W. questionnaire from John B. Walker, as well as the 1947 investigation into the details of the crash and the identification and the sites of the graves of McCutcheon and Sgt. Ward.

Regards

Simon