Thread: New Zealand Airmen who fought in The Battle of France

Thanks

Default New Zealand Airmen who fought in The Battle of France

Hi there,

It seems that there has never been a definitive list compiled of the New Zealanders who served operationally during the Battle of France, so a group of us have been trying to put that right over on the Wings Over New Zealand Forum. In a short space of time we have amassed quite a list, but there will be, I'm certain, many others that can be added. Particularly those who flew in Bomber Command in the Wellingtons, Hampdens, Whitleys, Blenheims and Battles, etc.

Are you able to add any New Zealanders, whether with the RAF, RNZAF or any other service, who took part in at least one operational sortie over French territory during the Battle of France?

The list we have already is here, if you can suggest any others, I can add them in:
    http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/27...-battle-france

Thanks!

Thanks

Dave, An interesting thread. Have you considered including those NZers who were posted to France, but weren't posted to a front-line squadron. I refer to those who were posted to 98 Sqn at Nantes, which was a reserve pool for the front-line squadrons. I have one certainty and one probable in this category. PO Walter Raymond was posted to 98 Sqn, but before he could move to a flying squadron the order came to evacuate. He was one of those who survived the Lancastria sinking. I believe that PO Ronald Magee was very likely in the same category. In the same commissioning class I think PO M.J.A. Kirdy of 142 Sqn should be on the list, as should PO R.J.A. Leslie. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thanks Terry. I guess there were there on site to defend France so they should be included. I can add them in as a sub-list.

Thanks

Do you mean Kirdy and Leslie should be on the main list, of operational pilots? Do you know their full names please?

Thanks

Kirdy should be on the main list of operational pilots. Killed on 29 Jul 40 with 142 Sqn. Full name is Matthew John Alexander Kirdy. Leslie I am not sure which list he would appear on. He went on to command 75 Sqn and served with the RAF post war. His full name is Roy John Alexander Leslie and I have an anotation that he served on Battles early in the war. I will keep checking. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thanks, I have added Matthew Kirdy.

Jack Leslie was already on the list when I just had a look, but I do not know which squadron he served with.

Thanks

I'd like to discover which squadron P/O Henry Macale Murray was flying with. He was shot down and became a POW.

And the same goes for Ian Lawry Gray who was reported missing. I am guessing he also became a POW as he is not on CWGC as far as I can see.

Thanks

Hello,

Henry Macale Murray - 218 Sqn RAF. 11-5-1940 - Battle I P2249.

"Ian Lawry Gray"

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...y,-ian-lowrie/

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th October 2018 at 12:56.

Thanks

According to Bingham in 'Blitzed', Gray was lost in Hudson N7353 of 206S, and ABS records 'shot down by BF109 N of Baltrum on a recc. off the German coast.@

DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 12th October 2018 at 15:23. Reason: Punctuation add squadron No.

Thanks

Thanks Col. and Dave. So it seems Ian Gray does not qualify for the Battle of France list. Cheers.