Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggin Hill airfield photo

Thanks

Default Biggin Hill airfield photo

I'm looking for an airfield photo of Biggin Hill circa 1935-40. My hope is that I can identify the met office from the image. I know where it was, but unfortunately no images of the building or surrounds are held by the Met Office Archives. Can anyone help please?

Brian

Thanks

Brian,
    If you get the Vis Points from the Daily Reg we can do the 'back-plot' trick to locate the position from which the Visibility was calculated/estimated - even if we transfer locs from the air-foto to GE!
    But them over at AiX are - I am fairly certain - got both air fotos AND the AMWD Biggin Hill plan!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 9th October 2018 at 14:35. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

As I indicated in #1, I know exactly where the met office and enclosure were located (from the map in the station file (Form 1904)), what I'm after is a visual picture of the site. Thanks for the pointer to AiX.

Brian

Thanks

Brian

The Google Earth App has a December 1940 bird's eye 'satellite' style view, if that's any help.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thank you, Simon. I've had a good look at it but cannot find what I'm seeking. The map displayed in Form 1094 (#3), is a sketch map which gives me a good idea of the general location of the met office - unfortunately it oversimplifies the layout so I'm finding it difficult to compare the two.

Brian

Thanks

The GE "1940" aerial photo mosaic is most definitely NOT 1940 but more likely 1946/7. The 1945 layer is a poor reproduction of the same but with the airfield "removed" so the photo map can be sold to the public. I have only seen the German recon photos of the 1940 period but I'm sure Historic England will have something or failing that the RAFM, assuming they are talking to the public again

Thanks

TBH I did wonder if it was indeed 1940 - there seems to be three Harvards parked on the airfield, and not much else going on!

Simon

Thanks

Thank you for that, PNK. I had my doubts about it being a 1940 photo, although I understand a tarmac runway was constructed during the autumn of 1939 ( https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...201939&f=false ).

There is no mention of a concrete runway, although another reference describes a concrete runway being laid down during 1940 (https://www.historylearningsite.co.u...f-biggin-hill/).

I'll take your advice, PNK, and try the RAFM or English Heritage.

Brian

Thanks

Hello

An item you might like to chase up. The Battle of Britain Then and Now Mk.V, contains a chapter on Biggin Hill during the BoB. One of the photographs (on p.63), taken by a Lufthansa pilot in 1939, depicts the airfield as it was then. It is an aerial shot of BH taken from six miles to the north-west.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 11th October 2018 at 01:29.

Thanks

Thank you Col. Before I go to the library, would it be the same as the low-resolution photo shown at http://bigginhill.co.uk/history.htm .

Brian