Thread: RAF Flowerdown

Thanks

Default RAF Flowerdown

Hello All,
    What was RAF Flowerdown (GE 51.089701 -1.339779) is now the Army Training Regt, Winchester (ATR(W)), and is known as Sir John Moore Barracks. I note it retains a fearsomely large Parade/Drill Square (reminded me of the 8 weeks at the start of my Nat Svc when I engaged in health-giving exercises on a similar structure at RAF Hednesford – made me feel quite unwell!!!). The Navy then took it over. It was – for much of WW2 – an important ‘Y Station’ for Bletchley Park’s activities.
    In the very early days of the RAF the Boy Entrants and/or Aircraft Apprentices were trained there before moving to Cranwell (and subsequently to Halton).
    I have been doing some quiet numerology this afternoon.
    Does anybody know which Boy/Apprentice Entries were trained at Flowerdowm, which at Cranwell, and, finally, which at Halton?
    TIA
    Peter Davies

PS Sorry about the title QSD - but I can't correct it!!
    Last edited by Jagan; 12th October 2018 at 05:36. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks

Brian,
    Yes
    No - no help
    No - no help
    No - no help
    I have got a fair 'handle' on the Entries, and their Service Number spreads (tks to COL). I note, that interrogating the various 'Brat' sites, mention is made of Flowerdown. I'm looking for a list of RAF Stations, and Entry start dates, where/when the 'Brats' were trained. This data to go into the Service Number s/sheet. I can have a guesstimate - but we both know (from bitter experience!) where assuming, possibly, logical deductions, reasoned argument, etc, etc, gets us!!! As they would say on 'Dragnet' - "Just gimme the facts, man!"
    TIA
    Peter
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Pete

My source shows that there were 15 intakes to Flowerdown from Jan 1922 to Jan 1929, one in January and a second in September each year. After the last one the Brats moved to Cranwell. As far as I'm aware no Electrical/Wireless trades trained at Halton so after the closure of Flowerdown all training was at Cranwell.

Malcolm