Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 Sqdn - Dakota IV KN584 - Lost 7 Sept 1945 Meiwang

Thanks

Hi, Jagan,

Thanks for your further info, from Jim.

I just peeked at my copy of The Moonlight War, mentioned by Jim. One slight correction. The crash was said to be 10 miles from the Drop Zone, not from base.

It is almost certain that the wartime street address in Guelph of Harold and Alice Smith will be found in the RCAF personnel files of WO1 R/131090 Harold William Smith, held in the Library and Archives Canada. There will likely be correspondences to and from the next-of-kin, and this could be a big help in finding surviving kin. Of course, with a surname of Smith...

LAC will prepare and mail, for free, a "genealogy packet" of documents culled from Smith's file, though the service takes something like eight months. Would you mention this to Jim? If he can get to Ottawa to study the Smith file himself, he wouldn't have to wait so long, however. I'm not sure -- but once the file is ordered in person, there might be a waiting period of a day before the file can be retrieved from storage and made available for viewing.

It is also likely that there will be some excellent summary details on the fate of the Dakota, from official reports. And on the location of a grave. There might be a grid reference, too -- which, if I learned it, could lead to a fairly precise point on an old map which is going to be better than a general lat/long (which tend to be off!).

I'll provide more details, if Jim is interested.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks

The mentioned Roy Herdman was lost on Sept 7 th 1945 while on KN584. The plane was found a week after it went missing. The Sqd Leader at the time Terrance O,Brien sent my grandmother a letter which I have a copy of explaining what he thought happened.
    The letter dated March 13 th 1946 says the plane hit the side of a mountain 6000 ft above sea level. He says the plane likely hit the side of the mountain whilst flying blind or more likely crashed out of control. The Dakota was identified by its tail unit, Sixteen bodies were accounted for and buried in a communal grave in the village of Mewaing in Burma at
    17 degrees 53 feet North and 97 degrees 17 feet east.
    On the wooden cross placed at the grave site two pieces of paper were nailed with the names of most of the lost members on the plane which my uncle Daniel McLeman was a Radio Officer.
    What I can not understand is why the grave could not be located after the war.
    I wrote to the war grave asking about the grave site, they responded "It may be because of further bombing". I am more inclined to believe there was no search carried out account shortage of funds at that point in time as the UK were pretty well broke after the war.
    I would very much like to be kept in the loop as far as this particular item is concerned. Jimmcleman@aol.com

Thanks

Please see my note on this site re the place of burial for all 16 members on this flight KN584. The name you shaw as David McLeman should read Daniel McLeman. My uncle. Jimmcleman@aol.com

Thanks

Roy. Can you contact me on my email at. Jimmcleman@aol.com so I can forward you a copy of a letter. Regards. Jim McLeman

Thanks

I have a picture of the original grave site supplied by the War Graves Commission. Nailed to the wooden cross were two pieces of paper. I had the picture enhance professionally which gave me all the names,rank and serial numbers of those lost on flight KN584. They correspond with your name list exactly. I will gladly forward a copy of the picture to you if you wish.
    Regards. Jim McLeman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim mcLeman View Post
    ... Sixteen bodies were accounted for and buried in a communal grave in the village of Mewaing in Burma at 17 degrees 53 feet North and 97 degrees 17 feet east.
    On the wooden cross placed at the grave site two pieces of paper were nailed with the names of most of the lost members on the plane which my uncle Daniel McLeman was a Radio Officer.
    What I can not understand is why the grave could not be located after the war.
    I wrote to the war grave asking about the grave site, they responded "It may be because of further bombing". I am more inclined to believe there was no search carried out account shortage of funds at that point in time as the UK were pretty well broke after the war. ...
    It is possible that the IWGC now CWGC probably could not / cannot access this place, as there has been trouble in parts of Burma (also known as Myanmar) since the late 1940s? It seems Mewaing was proposed to have/or had Karen leadership. There is a reference to the Karen National Union, also Karen National Liberation Army and various groups on Wikipedia and :- http://robbintalkingpoint.wordpress....s-of-struggle/ and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_N...iberation_Army

The Co-ords indicate the crew are buried in Mewaing. A weather satellite picture is obscured by cloud, but there is a fairly extensive layout of fields currently surrounding Mewaing, which looks to be amongst a forested area.

http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk...m/39568/davies

I am afraid that we lost members of our family due to the two World Wars, but unfortunately in some areas peace did not prevail, or not for long at least!
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 9th June 2014 at 21:35.

Thanks

Hello,

There is an interesting sidelight to the loss of No.357 Sqn Dakota KN584. S/L Terence O'Brien, OC No.357 Sqn, had this to say:

"We had a fatal crash investigation that month. Air Command decided that a court of enquiry should be held about the loss of our Dakota that had flown into a hillside, and the outcome was that l was found negligent in not ensuring a dinghy was carried on the fatal journey. The track of the aircraft from the drop site to Jessore crossed the corner of the Bay of Bengal, and though the plane never reached the Bay and the absence of a dinghy was irrelevant to the loss, King's Regulations stated that a dinghy should always be carried on water crossings and the court's verdict was that l was officially reprimanded... for contributing towards the deaths of sixteen men in a Dakota crash."

See:
    The Moonlight War:The Story of Clandestine Operations in South-East Asia, 1944-5.
    O'Brien,Terence
    London:Collins,1987
    p.346

Col.

Thanks

Were you aware of Any Indian Army Personel lost on KN584 in addition to the 4 crew and 12 passengers. Jim

Thanks

Default Photo Request

Hi! My mum's father was on that plane - Edgar James Kennedy. I would REALLY appreciate a copy of the photo you have of your uncle and his crew as my grandmother would be thrilled to see it. Would you please send me a jpeg? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy.Shute View Post
    Have just come across this site.Roy Herdman was killed in this incident. It was his 23rd birthday. He was my uncle, my mother brother, whom I never met.He left home on boxing day 1942 after some leave, never to return. I was only 2 years old at the time of his death. I remember seeing a letter from his C.O to my grandfather (Now lost) offering condolences and giving reason for crash as "the aircraft being knocked out of the sky by a sudden gust of wind whist flying thro' mountains" I suppose we call it "wind shear" now. I have a photograph of the grave but have lost the grave's co-ordinates. I also have 6 of his diaries which he filled in from 1939 when he left home as a 17 year old to work in the ministry of shipping thro' joining up in 1942 and his travels through South Africa, Iraq, India Ceylon, Burma & Thailand until the day before his death on 7th September 1945. I also have a photo' of him with his crew and I suppose their aircraft - date and place unknown.
    Roy Shute.

Thanks

Colin, we have been working with the son of Lt. Col Wigginton OBE MiD and the CWGC to have a commemorative stones placed for the people that lost their lives on Dakota KN584. This was due to have taken place on November 13th 2016. 4 crew, 6 RAF personnel, 6 British Army.
    Thought that this may be of interest to you?
    Kelvin @ Aircrew Remembered.