Thread: Heavy Bomber flare chute

Thanks

Default Heavy Bomber flare chute

Has anyone seen any construction details of the flare chutes fitted in Bomber Commands heavy bombers. I have seen the Lancaster's large chute configuration fitted to the rear not far from the crews doorway. It was a large tall construction but it apparently had multiple functions for deployment, how did they hold ordinance for deployment. Bomb Aimers deployments in particular.
    Thanks in anticipation of some feedback with this one.

Thanks

Hi Colin,

well I am not able to give you any detailed answer, but your question call up more questions when I was trying to find out something more about this theme.
    I remember from 311 Sq research that flares were deployed by the WOP/AGs in the most cases. Unless the Lancaster have a remotely controlled flare chute, the Air Bomber would not be able to deploy any flare over the target including the photo flash if it was not joined with the pressing of the bomb release switch.
    Maybe my knowledge is not sufficient how it works in later war years and I would like to learn more as I am also researching one Lancaster Air Bomber at the time.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

To my knowledge the flare chute was not used for any accurate dropping. The flares in question would be recognition flares as far as I can make out. Window was also dropped down these chutes, or a version of them. A tedious job when you think that they had to be dropped at set intervals for quite a while. Sea markers and smoke flares were also dropped from the chutes and both these were often used as targets for gunners to practice their aim on, along with using the shadow of the aircraft - low tech but fit for purpose.

Target indicators and photo flash would have been dropped with the bomb load. I think the photo flash was designed to go off at a preset time after release so it tied in the the camera shot.