Thread: Researching Airman Observer (Radio) - Released under Section 5(2)

Thanks

Default Researching Airman Observer (Radio) - Released under Section 5(2)

Hi

Im still quite new to this site and wonder if anyone can help?
    I am researching an airman from WW2 and his service record identifies that he was 'Released from Regular Service under provisions of Section 5(2) Armed Forces (Conditions of Service) Act 1939. Can anyone tell me what this means? Could it have been a medical discharge?

At the time he was training to be an Observer (Radio) and a few months prior to this he was given a medical rating of Class.A.4 BPFI. Can anyone tell me what this means?

Finally, he enlisted on 28/05/1940 when he was living and working as a PE Teacher in Guernsey, but doesn't appear to report for training at No/2 Recruit Centre, Cardington
    until 30/07/40 when he was quickly sent off to train as a PTI. Was this time lag between enlistment and training normal?

Thank you in anticipation

Mike
    Last edited by Jagan; 25th October 2018 at 04:01. Reason: Updated Title for Search Engine Optimisation

Thanks

Mike, Hi,
    Almost all recruits had to go on some sort of training course when they became members of RAF/RAFVR. The dates when they were liable to be Conscripted, or Enlisted, were laid down in the various Acts of Parliament. I can’t remember when I was formally given my Service Number. It might have been at Registration with the Ministry of Labour & National Service. It might have been at my Nat Svc medical, or it might have been at Cardington on induction. But I do remember that as the big machine stamped my Service Number on my kfs, the Sgt said “You are now a number – don’t forget it!”.

The various training courses would only be run when they had sufficient students to fill a course – this might be some time after formal Enlistment. Some (on various university and/or higher education courses) were Enlisted and then sent back to whatever institution to finish their courses as civilians. They had Deferred Service – and some were given a lapel badge to show it. There were 100,000 of them!!

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter

Im slowly putting the puzzle together!!]

Best regards

Mike

Thanks

Default Help required - Guernsey resident

Hello Mike

Guernsey, and the other Channel islands, were occupied at the end of June 1940, and 17,000 people were evacuated from Guernsey, 6,000 from Jersey and 2,000 from Alderney, in the 10 days before the Germans arrived.

If he was one of them they would have to be put somewhere to sort them out, before sending him to Cardington to start his wartime career in the RAF.

Cheers

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Thanks Allan

Thanks

Default Armed Forces (Conditions of Service) Act 1939 on Hansard

Hello Mike

If you do a Google search under Armed Forces (Conditions of Service) Act 1939 - as you would expect, like all Acts, it was discussed in Parliament, with quite a bit showing with links to the relevant parts of Hansard.

You might get lucky just opening each part up and searching for 5(2) - makes for interesting reading, that's for sure

Good luck - keep us all updated, thanks

Allan
    Allan Hillman