Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DFC and Bar F/LT J HALL (124263) 105 Sqn RAFVR 1944

Thanks

Thank you for this, it may be the case as he was with the 1655M.T.U. at the time and not the 105, I mis-read the record.

The flights are from the 09/10/43 - 24/10/43 (2x9th, 10,12, 13,2x14th, 2x16th, 2x18th,19, 21, 2x22nd, 24th) and they are either 08:15, 09:15 or 14:00 (ish) flights all for around 2hrs. They are still with Wills and was in an OXFORD DF517, DF525 or ED185?

Thanks

Thank you for this Adriano.

I only started to inquire as to the reason he received his awards, but it is all very addictive. I have purchased many books on the topic now to try and piece together his history. I have only just browsed them thus far, but I need to look further I feel. I will try and look into Kew etc as I feel there may be more detailed info out there.

Thank you all for your assistance so far, it has been so enlightening. You are all too kind.

Thanks

Oboe equipped Oxfords were used in the early stage of Oboe training for crews at the 1655 MTU. My father was an Oboe navigator who trained at 1655 MTU in Feb & March 44, he did 12 training flights in Oxfords (using those same aircraft) that were listed as exercises, normal training & bombing exercises. They were carried out between 10 am and 3 pm. The logbook of F/L Eric Arnott who was a 109 Squadron pilot who was one course ahead of my father shows the same type of flights. His logbook indicated that the crew in training in Oxfords were accompanied by an instructor with operational Oboe experience. I also checked the records of the Oboe ground stations that were active at the time and the only aircraft used on Oboe operations were Mosquitos from 105 & 109 Squadrons as well as Marauders from the US 9th Air Force.
    The Oboe crews in training also did a dozen or so Oboe training flights in Mosquitos. The Oxford had neither speed or height needed for Oboe operations.
    The Oboe call sign for Wills/Hall was "HK". They would fly to a waiting point on the beam close to where their run began and listen for the Oboe controllers to transmit their call sign in morse code. When they heard it Hall would drop to his knees, switch on the Oboe set and tune the antenna. The aircraft would appear on the Oboe sets at the two ground stations and the pilot would turn down the beam on their 10 minute run to the target.
    Cheers
    Last edited by David Wallace; 1st November 2018 at 14:34.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to David Wallace For This Useful Post:

CptDaymo (9th November 2018)

Thanks

Good evening Adriano.

I have read copies of AIR 27/827/33 & 34 for 105 squadron in May 1944, it shows that my Grandad, plus others, were awarded the DFC on 16/05/1944, but no details. It mentions in "reference to appendices": Appendix 4 or 13? so I think there may be more info there. I have searched high and low for evidence of the appendices, is there a way to read these or do you think they are still withheld?

Thank you for your offer of further assistance, I do hope I am not taking up too much of your time keep asking these questions? You mentioned some others that may help? Al info is of great help. Mr Wallace has been of great help, I have learnt so much these last few weeks.

Thanks

Thanks

Default Re: DFC and Bar F/LT J HALL (124263) 105 Sqn RAFVR 1944

Capt Daymo,

Try to find Hugh HALLYDAY here or at Toch Forum. It seems that your Grandfather was not granted an "immediate" award. We can find the text of those "immediate" awards on the London Gazette or other magazines of that time....however for non-immediate awards the CITATION is not easily found (at least as far as I have researched). You can try to write also to: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

They surely do have copies of his Military Service stored somewhere....probably there you will find the original citation and "back-up" by his C.O. and the Station Commander. Have seen that for those awards, the CO and Station Commander needed to support the citation....or application!

Keep us informed if a booklet do arise...you do have a reader here, being a fan of the Mosquito and 105 Squadron as well....

As a former member of the Mosquito Aircrew Association I do have a lot of info you do need. Contact me at: baumgartner_asv@yahoo.com.br

Thanks

Default Re: DFC and Bar F/LT J HALL (124263) 105 Sqn RAFVR 1944

True, member HughAHalliday is very helpful looking up award citations in Air Ministry Bulletins, of which he has a microfilm set.

Unfortunately, as he reminded us the other day, due to COVID19 restrictions he has no access to a microfilm reader and is unable to do any look-ups for the time being.
    Toujours à propos