Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DFC and Bar F/LT J HALL (124263) 105 Sqn RAFVR 1944

Thanks

Default DFC and Bar F/LT J HALL (124263) 105 Sqn RAFVR 1944

I am researching my Grandfathers military history from WWII and I cannot find the citations for his DFC & Bar. He was always very reticent about his war activities and the only explanation we ever got from him about how he got his medals was "because I was there" I would like to know if this was the case, or if there is more to the story?

He is mentioned in the LG, in supplement 2292, DFC, (19/05/1944) and 3772 DFC* (15/08/1944), but there is no mention of why he received them.

He is :
    Flight Lieutenant John Hall
    Service nr 124263 (30/04/1942)
    105 Squadron RAFVR
    Navigator.

I have tried numerous books, websites and forums. I've tried to link them with his service record and his log books, but I keep coming up blank. Is there somewhere else I can search, or does anyone have any information already?

Thanks in advance

Damian Hall

Thanks

Struggling to find anything to add. I believe that I've found a newspaper article from Birmingham Daily Gazette dated 16 August 1944 which may be your Grandfather. If you think that this is him and would like to have it, PM me your email address and I will send it through.

Thanks

Hello Damian Hall,
    I may have some entries from 105 Squadron ORB for you, but need to check.
    Can you check his Logbook and inform who was his regular pilot?
    Meanwhile, I have found the citation to his BAR do his DFC:
    Fit. Lt. J. HALL. D.F.C. R.A.F.V.R; No.105 Squ.—Since being awarded the D.F.C., this officer has completed many more operational sorties. He has maintained his high standard of navigational skill and consistently displayed exemplary courage and devotion to duty.

Adriano S. Baumgartner, ASV 00.344
    Former member of the Mosquito Aircrew Association (MAA).

Thanks

His pilot seems to be S/L J.F. Wills.
    Last edited by David Wallace; 29th October 2018 at 18:51.

Thanks

Hi Adriano, oh wow thank you that is amazing!
    His log book has him flying with someone named Wills, I don’t think there’s a reference to first name or rank, but I’ll take a look.
    thank you so much

Thanks

Thanks

I was also wondering... in his log book he has several entries down as Special Duty? what does this mean? I know there were special duties divisions, but I didn’t think the 105 were one of them. Any ideas?
    thanks once again

Thanks

If you can give me dates I can look those ops up. The Oboe squadrons sometimes led daylight formations of heavies for attacks on some targets and that may be what he was referring to. Its also not unusual to see Oboe ops listed in log books as “experimental” since they were always trying out new things.
    Last edited by David Wallace; 30th October 2018 at 19:04.

Thanks

Dear Damian Hall,

May I humbly suggest you to start a book-Project about the War and Flights of your grand-father, what do you think about?
    Firstly, very few RAF airmen were awarded a DFC and BAR in WW2 and, your grand-father seems to have flown quite a lot in WW2, nearing the 100 missions mark, if he flew, as his pilot, a First Tour earlier.

During the last 20+ years I have been in touch with quite a number of relatives and have suggested to sons and daughters to write about their fathers who flew for the RAF.

Most probably your grand-father was involved on some Special Missions as you said they are labelled and marked onto his Flight Logbook. You can cross-check his "oficial" version with the Squadron Operational Record Book (ORB), held at NARA Kew. For me, a Brazilian and very far away from this "sacred Holly-Land for Researchers", it is almost impossible to be there personally, although I am aware this can be done (maybe after retirement..."I do take one week to pass one year there!" - the original Brazilian expression. is: "Take one day to pass one week at home", when you do miss someone and your agendas do not fit or match). Anyway, you can also buy them monthly digitalized for (if memory does not fail me something around 3.50£ per reel) some fares. Here:http://discovery.nationalarchives.go..._dt=SQ&_hb=tna

I can be of assistance and can share some personnel material acquired or obtained during the last 20+ years of researches. I can also put you in contact with other persons who may be of assistance, if you wish so. Am actually finishing the long biography of Wing Commander Cosme Lockwood Gomm, DSO, DFC (RAFO 34123), probably he greatest Brazilian Aviator of all times (in my opinion), who was OC of 467 Squadron (on Lancasters).

Please do contact me at: baumgartner_asv DOT yahoo DOT com DOT br
    Be aware of the underline after my Family Name - between the NAME and asv

Adriano S. Baumgartner, ASV 00.344

Thanks

sorry: Email is: baumgartner_asv@yahoo.com.br