Thread: AM Form 78 Card - General Question

Thanks

Default AM Form 78 Card - General Question

Hi All,

Could anyoone explain to me ? How or why the RAF used the first section on F78 card "Unit to whom alloted" ?
    It is actually very confusing because the date used here is usually weeks or even months earlier than the date shown on the 'Date taken on charge' line above it.
    Does this date mean that the plane was ordered by the RAF that date ?
    or
    That date is the date when aircraft was ready after build in Hawker ?

Thanks in advance
    Mariusz

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Mariusz,

In my experience with Form 78s for RAF Fortresses that lower part of the form, including the section you quote, was used inconsistently. Sometimes there was an initial issue from the modification centre and sometimes this was followed by issue to the first operational squadron... but not always. Sometimes this section was blank. If present, the dates were typically a few days before the matching entries in the upper part of the form which makes sense, although I understand that any date in the upper section could be off by a few days, given lags in the reporting system and the small number of people making the entries on the forms.

My impression from my somewhat limited experience is that with time the lower part of the form was rarely used except when there was more detail to be presented than could be accommodated in the box in the upper part of the form. An aircraft being assigned for certain modifications would be an example.

Would be interested to hear other perspectives on this topic as I've puzzled over the same issue.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 27th October 2018 at 15:58.

Thanks

thanks Robert