Thread: Injured RAF airmen taken into No. 25 Military Field Hospital in Italy, April 1944

Thanks

Default Injured RAF airmen taken into No. 25 Military Field Hospital in Italy, April 1944

Hi all,

I have information from one RAF aircraft crash report that injured members of crew were taken into "No. 25 Military Field Hospital".
    I am trying to establish the location of the hospital in question in April 1944 when the crash occurred near Foggia airfield complex in Italy.
    I am also interested if it was a British or US army hospital?

Any help much appreciated

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel, Hi,
    I had, somewhere, a list of the all the Field Hospitals and where/when they were - sorry, can't find it now.
    Your best bet is to get into the QARANC (Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps) network at cbuswell AT hotmail.com. This is the Army equivalent of PMRAFNS (Princess Mary's RAF Nursing Service). I had an aunt who was in PMRAFNS - but long since deceased!
    But if you get really stuck then come back to me, and I'll try to use some of my nursing contacts to find a way in to their history!
    HTH
    Peter
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Pavel,
    Found it!
    Try http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/112.html.
    25 BGH does not appear to have been in Italy, so you may be looking at a US Mil Hosp? Don't know how you do that. Jagan may know?
    HTH
    Peter

Thanks

Pavel,
    There is a list of American Field Hospitals in ETO in WW2 at https://www.med-dept.com/articles/ww...of-operations/.
    However 25 Military Field Hospital (and a significant number of others) is missing from the list.
    Need to get the bloodhounds on the case?
    HTH
    Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter,

many thanks for yout two previous posts. I have read the link you have provided and I was thinking that it does not fits...
    It looks like the problem was in my original question which was unfortunately totally wrong!

Thanks to older thread of this forum (2004)
    http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/04739.php
    I was able to establish the correct hospital I was looking for - No. 25 R.A.F. Mobile Field Hospital!

So now I need a good soul who would be able to tell me, where No. 25 R.A.F. Mobile Field Hospital was located in the middle of April 1944? It must be some place around Foggia airfield complex in Italy.

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel,
    You could try these contacts:
    info@pmrafns.org and/or association@pmrafns.org.
    HTH
    Peter

Thanks

Many thanks Peter, I am glad that after reading your posts I was able to correct my previous blunder.

Pavel

Thanks

Hello Pavel,
    In April 1944 25 MFH was operational at Foggia until midnight 17/18th, when they packed up to move on the 19th to Corsica via Salerno. They travelled on US LST 32 and arrived in Corsica on the 24th, setting up at Prunelli and being fully functional at 13:00 hrs on the 25th.

While at Foggia in April they took in 8 aircrew, none as a result of enemy action. Seven were injured on operational flights and one on a test flight. Of these, four were from a Liberator which crashed when taking off for an operation on the night of 14/15th.
    The first, who had walked five miles to get help, had a fractured lower jaw and several teeth were lost, lip and nose injuries. He was sent after treatment to No.1 RAF General Hospital.
    The second had a skull fracture and severe shock.
    Number three had fractures to the left leg and ankle plus scalp wounds, plus severe shock. He developed malaria while being treated.
    Number four had less serious damage to his right knee and ankle.
    The other aircrew treated were: three from a Wellington which crashed on landing after an operational flight; a pilot of another Wellington force landed on a test flight. None had serious injuries.

HTH
    Bruce
    Last edited by bruce dennis; 3rd November 2018 at 11:07.
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Bruce,

my "BIG THANKS" as this is excatly what I was after and much more than I was ever hoping!

I hope I will be able to repay somehow once.

Pavel

Thanks

Default Re: Injured RAF airmen taken into No. 25 Military Field Hospital in Italy, April 1944

Quote Originally Posted by bruce dennis View Post
    Hello Pavel,
    In April 1944 25 MFH was operational at Foggia until midnight 17/18th, when they packed up to move on the 19th to Corsica via Salerno. They travelled on US LST 32 and arrived in Corsica on the 24th, setting up at Prunelli and being fully functional at 13:00 hrs on the 25th.

While at Foggia in April they took in 8 aircrew, none as a result of enemy action. Seven were injured on operational flights and one on a test flight. Of these, four were from a Liberator which crashed when taking off for an operation on the night of 14/15th.
    The first, who had walked five miles to get help, had a fractured lower jaw and several teeth were lost, lip and nose injuries. He was sent after treatment to No.1 RAF General Hospital.
    The second had a skull fracture and severe shock.
    Number three had fractures to the left leg and ankle plus scalp wounds, plus severe shock. He developed malaria while being treated.
    Number four had less serious damage to his right knee and ankle.
    The other aircrew treated were: three from a Wellington which crashed on landing after an operational flight; a pilot of another Wellington force landed on a test flight. None had serious injuries.

HTH
    Bruce
    Hi Bruce
    i have just joined RAF Commands and am not sure that I am doing this correctly, but I saw this thread and wondered if you could help please
    my father was admitted to 25 Mobile Field Hospital in Dec 44 and discharged in Jan 45, I know it was in Italy somewhere, do you happen to know the whereabouts of 25 MFH at this time or can you point me in the right direction please? Many thanks Roz