Thread: 199 Squadron Halifax

Thanks

Default 199 Squadron Halifax

I have been working my way through the threads in the old forum (only another 250 pages to go!!) and I noticed a thread from MattMZ589 in 2005 requesting information about the serial number for a 199 Squadron Halifax aircraft code EX-A at the end of the War. The thread did not appear to have any replies.

Matt, if you are still visiting the forum, the 199 ORB indicates Halifax III PN378 EX-A operated as part of a Mandrel cover for operations to Kiel on 2-3 May 1945.

Belated best wishes

Douglas

Thanks

Douglas

Chorley has RG373 & RG375 lost on this op. PN378 SOC 12/2/47 according to A-B's Halifax File.

Thanks

John

Thank you for the input re 199 Squadron Halifaxes. The two aircraft which were lost on the operation to Kiel are probably the last Bomber Command aircraft to have been lost in the European War. The aircraft are thought to have collided on the bombing run and only three men out of two crews of eight survived.

Douglas

Thanks

Alf Holder was one of the crew killed, he was 43 and was one of the oldest RAF officers killed on operations in the war.

Thanks

Default pilot of one of the Halifaxs

Quote Originally Posted by Theletterwriter View Post
    John

Thank you for the input re 199 Squadron Halifaxes. The two aircraft which were lost on the operation to Kiel are probably the last Bomber Command aircraft to have been lost in the European War. The aircraft are thought to have collided on the bombing run and only three men out of two crews of eight survived.

Douglas
    Hi

im new to thus forum, but whist doing some research discovered that my mothers cousin William Brooks was the pilot of one of the Halifaxes. He was on his second tour, I cant believe how unfortunate and unlucky to be killed 5 days before the end of the war.

I think he did his first tour in Wellingtons. Would anyone have for information about his war record?

thanks

maek hatton