Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCAF Cessna Crane fatal mid-air collison 19 July 1943

Thanks

Default RCAF Cessna Crane fatal mid-air collison 19 July 1943

J23318 Glen William Monks, RCAF and Aus410811 Brandon Boyce Kersey, RAAF were killed in a mid-air collision seven miles SW of the aerodrome while engaged on a night flying test on Dauphin-based 10 SFTS Cessna Crane 8665 or 7777 on 19 July 1943.

Could someone please advise me of (a) the time of the accident, (b) which of the two aircraft they were in, (c) who was in command - an instructor? - of the aircraft at the time, and (d) confirm if the crew of the other Crane were also killed or if they (as seems likely) survived.

Neither of Kersey’s two RAAF service files have yet been digitised for online viewing.

TIA,
    Errol
    Last edited by Errol Martyn; 2nd November 2018 at 10:02.

Thanks

Errol

Monks' R.C.A.F. records are available on ancestry.co.uk, and include an R.C.A.F. Form R.78A 'Report of Accidental or Self-Inflicted Injuries or Immediate Death Therefrom.' It has the following information:

He was in Cessna Crane 7777, which crashed at 22.00 hours at South Riding Mountain National Park. He is recorded as a Flying Instructor. Further details of the accident are 'Awaiting Outcome of Investigation.'

Unfortunately that's all there is with regards to the accident, apart from a 'Report of Death of United States Citizen in Military Service' form, which records that he died 'about seven miles south east of No.10 S.F.T.S., Dauphin, Manitoba.'

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Errol,

AUS410811 F/O Brandon Boyce Kersey RAAF has no A705 Casualty file at the NAA (well, not when I enquired in 2006).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd November 2018 at 10:54.

Thanks

Many thanks Gents.

With a bit more hunting on the 'net I found the following which confirms the fate of both aircraft and their pilots:

Heritage Canada has provided, on line, jpg images of the daily reports (RCAF Form R.65) from
    the training schools of the BCATP.

July 19, 1943. The day was fine with a 5 to 15 mile per hour wind from thewest. The high
    temperature was 81 and the low 51 degrees. Flying operations were carried out in the normal
    manner.
    While testing aircraft for night flying a fatal accident occurred when Cessna Crane aircraft 8665
    piloted by Pilot Officer B.B. Kersey (AUS410811) collided in mid-air with Cessna Crane 7777
    piloted by Pilot Officer G.W. Monks (J23318). The accident occurred at about 2200 hours. Both
    aircraft were completely destroyed and the both officers were instantly killed. The scene of the
    fatal crash was in a wooded area about 10 miles southwest of the main aerodrome. Much
    difficulty was experienced by personnel of the station in reaching the crash due to darkness and
    inaccessibility

Cheers,
    Errol
    Last edited by Errol Martyn; 3rd November 2018 at 00:00.

Thanks

Hi,
    Accident File and BOI report is available at the link below
    http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...3/3040?r=0&s=4
    Runs for 77 pages with good quality photos,
    Alan.

Thanks

Many thanks Alan,

I have viewed the report and found it most helpful. How, though, does one search for such a report on the website - as an experiment, I tried a search variously using the serials and names for this event but none of these brought up the report.

Cheers,
    Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol,
    In 2015 I got frustrated trying to find what was on each reel as I had both Aviation and Army to research and the search facility at heritage Canadiana was not much help. I ended up viewing each reel to draw up a very rough guide which Bill Walker and others expanded on considerably.
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...-Diaries/page2
    Bill's Excel file is still on line at the link below.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sxry9e0yn...1_06.xlsx?dl=0
    Accident reports are in Reels C-5917 to C5939 also T-12353 and T12357. Some of the ORB's also contain accident reports and photos.
    Civil Aircraft Registration and Inspection files are on Reels T-7241 to T-8541, I have not been through all the reels and there is no easy way to find a registration as they are filed by the region the Aircraft was registered.The same Registration can be re used several times.
    If you are interested in Luftwaffe or Army Diaries I can send a list of what is on each reel.

Alan.

Thanks

I'd be interested in the Luftwaffe indexes.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Dennis,
    I have sent you a PM with the links to the Luftwaffe files.
    While having a look at the record reels again I found another 18 reels of Accident reports which were not available a few years ago. I will add these to the thread on RCAF Record Books and Diaries as I complete each reel.
    So far it has taken 14 hours to detail the contents of three of them.

Alan.

Thanks

Many thanks again Alan,

I shall pass on the Luftwaffe and Army diaries, though. I have enough trouble as it is just keeping up with New Zealanders in aviation!

Cheers,
    Errol