Thread: 214 Squadron ORB July 1942

Thanks

Default 214 Squadron ORB July 1942

Has anyone got a copy of the day to day record as the download from Kew is missing the loss of the Knocker & Peel crews and they claim it is missing from the original

Thanks

Default 214 Sqn ORB, July 1942

Hi John

I've got the July '42 ORB download (F.541's) and you're right, neither W/C Knocker's (2-3/7/1942) nor P/O Peel's (23-24/7/1942) sorties are shown therein but you can see from the ORB page stamps that no pages have been overlooked in copying. They simply weren't recorded! The missing crewmen are, however, listed in the 'Movements' section in the monthly Summary.

When I was making my notes of all 214's wartime ops, looking at the microfilm copies up at Kew, I similarly noted that these two sorties didn't appear although the Summary for that month (F.540's) does note that one a/c failed to return from each of these two ops.

Anything in particular you're looking for?

Regards

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 9th November 2018 at 11:56.

Thanks

Ian
    Thank you for your reply. I was putting together the Peel's crew career with 214 Sq. and was checking that what NA had told me was correct. Were there other pages missing from this squadron's ORB?

Thanks

Hi John

It's been a few years since I compiled my listing, but I don't recall there being any missing pages. There were occasional omissions (as you've found) and some of the pages were quite hard to read (faint or blotchy typing) but generally their ORB's were pretty good.

I've got Peel listed as flying 6 ops as co-pilot (17, 18, 19, then 22, 25 and 27/6) then 3 ops as pilot (7, 8, and 21/7) before his final one on 23/7 from which he FTR.

Hope this helps

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 15th November 2018 at 18:54.