Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POW Richard Garth HOLLIS

Thanks

Default POW Richard Garth HOLLIS

In Stalag Luft I West Compound c 1944 appears a Richard Garth Hollis NCO rank however apart from the pow register I am unable to trace him so presumably not a Bomber boy, has anyone come across his name anywhere. He was friendly with a Typhoon pilot another interesting individual J S Slaney.

Thanks

Hi Colin,

I had a look in “Footprints on the sands of time” he is not listed as a bomber aircrew.

Cheers,

John

Thanks

From FWP

R G Hollis

Service number1891320Year—Prison camp or ship—CountryGermanyConflictWorld War 2

Thanks

He is a rather illusive chap thanks for the service number that might help a little.

Thanks

Richard Garth Hollis

b. 8 Oct 1920 Pancras 1b 47 (MMS Whittingham).
    8 Oct 1938 18th birthday
    Mathematical Enlistment date 10 Feb 1943 at Euston (1891320 in Block 1890001-1899799, 1 Jan 43-31 Oct 43)
    Reported Missing: Sgt R G Hollis Flight 15 Jun 1944
    d. Q4 1990 Worthing 18 2269 aged 70.

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter thank you kindly, from the South Coast area of Sussex, that helps a lot.

Thanks

Hi Colin - not sure if this is the same family but istr there used to be a Richard Hollis Estate Agent either near Worthing or perhaps Lewes ?

From - http://pastfinders.com/sussexhistory...ston_c20th.htm
    Topic - HOLLIS and SCRIBBLE (magazine)
    On November 29th 1948, Mr William Hollis died aged 74, with an estate worth over £14,000 gross but net value nil. His son Richard, himself an estate agent, carried out his father's wishes next year, by preparing a garden, and scattering his father's ashes over the triangle behind the statue of William Shakespeare,

Thanks

Default Re: POW Richard Garth HOLLIS

I continue to seek information and have gathered odd pieces of information which has pointed me towards several possibilities in solving this missing prisoner of war account. It is very likely he was flying in a MkI Lancaster in early 1944. No crew losses or aircraft losses correlate but has anyone come across situations where single members of crew bailed out creating a situation where the one non returning airman has simply been lost amongst the reporting, other than maybe a simple ORB line in the Squadron reports.....this is my current theory in solving the questions.

Thanks

Colin,

There is a Flight Sgt. R. G. Hollis 'Previously Reported Missing, Now Reported Prisoner of War' in Casualty Communique No. 471, Flight Magazine, February 15th 1945.

I've come across a few situations where aircrew, often rear gunners, baled out when under the impression that the aircraft was out of control, or where the 'bale out' order was given and the control was regained.

As a punt, I had a look at Combat Reports on the National Archive website, and 115 Sqn had an upper gunner named Hollis. A quick Google found a Dick Hollis who was mid-upper gunner in the crew of Bill Martin, D.F.C.

Crew as follows:

Sgt Sid Longhurst - W/op
    Sgt Cyril Bridges - F/eng
    Sgt Dick Hollis - M/U Gunner.
    Sgt John Henry RAAF - Nav
    Sgt Geoff Payne - R/G
    F/Lt Bill Martin - Pilot DFC
    Sgt Joe Waple - Bomb Aimer

See: https://115squadron-raf.be/New%20fac...es%202018.html

That all seems a bit circumstantial, however I came across the following article:

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/a-hero...-grim-reality/

An article about the crew's rear gunner Geoff Payne, which includes the following:

“During one flight the mid-gunner bailed out under enemy fire,” continues Geoff, who served with 514 and 115 squadrons.

So, there is another Combat Report 18th/19th March 1944 which records a combat with this crew and that the mid-upper gunner baled out: https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D7459582

Cross-check the entry on the ORB Form 540 (page 4 of 7): https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D8386807

and the ORB Form 541 (page 11 of 18) records that the Lancaster II LL695 'H' was atacked by an Me-110 and damaged under the fuselage through to the top, the intercom was shattered and the mid upper gunner Sgt. Hollis baled out when the intercom went u/s: https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D8386808

So, a possibile candidate...

Regards

Simon

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wwrsimon For This Useful Post:

colinpateman (4th May 2020)

Thanks

Hello,

An aside:

Bridges, Henry RAAF, Longhurst & Waple were involved in a nasty incident at Wratting Common, when 1651 HCU Stirling I BF332 spun in, on 26 November, 1943. The whole crew were injured, but survived:

AUS410400 F/S (Pilot) George Lindsay WEBSTER RAAF
    1654795 Sgt (F/E) Cyril Henry BRIDGES
    AUS60910 F/S (Nav.) John Lewis HENRY RAAF
    1324684 Sgt (B/A) Joseph George WAPLE
    1396902 Sgt (W.Op.) Sidney Charles LONGHURST

See:BCL8/76.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th May 2020 at 04:13.