Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help researching Great Uncles records

Thanks

Hi,
    Roots, Harold Henry Victor - looks like he attended RAF Halton as an apprentice.
    http://www.oldhaltonians.co.uk/pages/rememb/ROH/R.htm

Alan.

Thanks

Looking into the loss of Oxford L4616, I find that there is contradictory information at large. Some sources put the location of the crash as being 5 miles SW of Lulsgate, with only one crew member aboard (ASN for one). However Mac Hawkins was very specific in naming the Wagon & Horses Inn as being the place. Air Britain Serials agrees with this citing '0.5 miles NW of Lusgate;. I also believe that there were two occupants of the a/c, Roots and 114221 Peter Marshall Cadman, as originally mooted by Alex in his unaccounted airmen page, Malcolm suggested that Cadman should be associated with an unidentified Mosquito crash. Anyway I can confirm that Roots and Cadman appear on the same page of the Weston Deaths Register at 5c 403. As for the Wagon & Horses Inn, it was demolished in 2013 and replaced with an airport parking compound.
    To resolve the location issue, it would be useful for the enquirer to obtain a death certificate for one of the casualties. Hopefully it will confirm the exact location.
    Last edited by davew; 12th November 2018 at 16:46. Reason: putting the decimal point in correctly.

Thanks

As an addendum to this post, I have obtained a book entitled 'The Story of RAF Lulsgate Bottom' by Ian James published in 1989.

In it, it makes reference to FO 'Harry' Roots and F/L PO Cadman. The entry records at 09.40 on 6/6/1944 the Oxford Mk1 being flown by FO H H V Roots and F/L PO Cadman the student. A local farmer witnessed the crash from his farm and was first on the scene but could do nothing due to the flames resulting from the explosion. He reovered a wheel from the aircraft that he used for many years on his farm.

As a side story, FO Roots was with a student, Canadian PO Erikson flying Oxford Mk1 HN203 when it overshot the runway at Whitchurch. Neither officer was injured.

I wouldn't have obtained these snippets without the assistance of the Forum so thank you once again.