Thread: Wing Commander Raymond Hiley Harries DSO*, DFC'**

Thanks

Default Wing Commander Raymond Hiley Harries DSO*, DFC'**

Hello again,
    Can anyone please help me ID the a/c and times when he made 2 claims as Wingco of 135 Wing. I believe it was a Spitfire X1 type.
    On 25-7-44 he claimed a Fw190 Destroyed at Routat.
    On 26-12-44 he claimed a Me262 Damaged S/Stavelot.
    This guy was a hands-on leader who sadly was killed on 14-5-50 in Meteor 4 on 92 sqn when he ran out of fuel near Sheffield, Is the Meteor serial known.
    Many thanks,
    Roy

Thanks

Hi Roy,

According to Broken Wings, the serial was VW267.

HTH,

Russ

Thanks

Hello Roy

Spitfire XIs were unarmed PR Spitfires ! More likely a Mk IX. Have you checked the National Archives in Kew ? They have combat reports in the AIR 50 series. You can download them for a fee, but sometimes the catalogue could have some useful détails. From my experience, the serial number of the plane flown is rarely stated, so the best options are the Squadrons' ORBs, as usually the Wing Leader's machine was taken in charge for maintenance by one of the Squadrons within the Wing.

I presume you have checked the published sources (Aces High and Those Other Eagles, 2nd T.A.F., etc...) ?

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss,
    Many thanks for your help. Sadly after checking Spitfire the History I mixed up the X1 with 1X, I should have remembered the PRU X1.
    I see WC Harries claimed a V-1 on 25-6-44 in a Spitfire 1X coded RH-H but the location is not recorded nor the serial #.
    Thank you.
    Roy