Thread: Volunteering for RAF Roles 1942

Thanks

Default Volunteering for RAF Roles 1942

My late father served as a wireless operator during the second world war. Would he have volunteered specifically to be trained as a wireless operator or would the RAF have allocated him to this role when he signed up?
    I also understand that while under wireless operator training he applied for transfer to air crew but was turned down. There is nothing in his service record about this; is there anyway to find out why he might have been turned down?
    Thanks
    Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon, welcome aboard!
    I have moved your thread to the General Category where it would attract more attention.
    In general - when he joined there was some kind of interview and he was selected for some kind of training according to his education and medical fitness. After the initial part of training this would be confirmed or changed. He can also fail in some part of training so he can be remustered for example from pilot to an air gunner or even to a ground staff.
    In your case he can be not allowed to join the air crew for medical reasons.

The best would be to order his RAF Service Record (if you have not done it yet). Please let us know if you need an advice to be posted there how to request it.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel
    Thank you for the welcome and the information. I have received Dad's service record which has helped in some respects, however some parts were a little difficult to decipher, hence my various questions via the forum which hopefully will enable me to carry out further research.
    Like many, Dad didnt talk much about the war and so I am trying to get an understanding of his life at that time.
    Kind regards
    Simon

Thanks

Re: "He applied for transfer to air crew but was turned down. There is nothing in his service record about this"

When an airmen attended an Aviation Candidates Selection Board (ACSB) to be assessed for suitability for air crew training, there was normally a stamp applied in the "Miscellaneous" Section on the front of the service record. Is there a stamp of any sort applied to you father's record showing ACSB NN ......... (as this may show why he was rejected)

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Great Simon, so in the part of trades (if I remember well) you can find the first trade he was selected for with the date +/- when he joined and there would be an abbreviation "u/t" (under training) with it.
    Maybe you can try to upload a photo of the record (just trades section) into the forum gallery and forum members would help you to decipher it.

How to operate with the gallery + tutorial you can find in special thread:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...torial-Updates

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks Pete. Within the Miscellaneous section, the only stamp is a "National Registration Identification Letter DXBY/118/3"; underneath it says "Med, Cat Grade II" which I assume is medical category. the other entries all seem to be about microfilming the records and his release after the war. No reference to ACSB I am afraid.

Regards
    Simon

Thanks

Thanks Pavel,

I have managed to decipher his training section, although nothing specific refers to the application for air crew. I wouldn't have known about it except that after Dad died I found a notebook of his training at RAF Compton Bassett, all pretty basic stuff i.e. "Morse training, PT, rifle drill etc" and he just referred on different days to "applied for air crew, interview for aircrew, no luck". He was a man of few words!

regards
    Simon