Thread: RAF Little Snoring History

Thanks

Default RAF Little Snoring History

Hello All,
    Does anyone know who the current expert is on RAF Little Snoring - and its history?
    And - as a supplementary question - ditto for Moreton-in-Marsh?
    These are required by current persons who thought that "RAF Little Snoring" was an humorous, fictional, RAF airfield location invented by me when I edited a staff association magazine many years ago. Or are not old enough to have listened to "Much-Binding-in-the-Marsh" (BBC Light Programme 1944-54).
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks

Brian,
    Tks for those. I found www.geograph.org.uk/article/RAF-Little-Snoring to be quite useful. But I would have hated to have flown from the place in WW2. There are 9 major airfields within a 10 mile radius of Little Snoring!!! The extended centre-lines of its runways intersect the circuits of a number of other airfields in the area! And to top it off, I've just discovered that Weybourne was where they trained a lot of Anti-Aircraft gunners. So in addition to the very high air collision risk, if you took-off towards the north you might also encounter some trigger-happy AA u/t gunners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter

Well it ensured that only the best survived to fly on ops!!!

But more seriously, there'll be a number of books that cover Little Snoring in general terms. For example Roger Freeman's "Bases of Bomber Command, Then and Now" and also Graham Smith's "Norfolk Airfields in the Second World War" (published a few years ago but a nice little series of 'county airfields' books), to name but two.

Any specific detail your 'current person' (not an ex-person then!) is after?

Ian