Thread: Wellington bomber service histories

Thanks

Default Wellington bomber service histories

Can anyone tell me if there is a source of information on the service history. If so would they give details of repairs to battle damage. In particular Wellington Mk II Z8406 SM-G which was lost without trace on the night of 3/4 May 1942. I have found a picture of this aircraft with what appears to be significant damage to the left engine whilst it was in service with 305 Squadron. The time scale is fairly limited because this aircraft replaced W5557 as SM-G and this latter aircraft was lost on 27th September 1941. Many thanks

Thanks

RAF museum will have a Form 78 aircraft history. And while it wont quote details of a repair it will indicate if it served with a Unit prior to being SM-G. It might list some depot level visits in its past.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks for that information Dennis

Thanks

Hello,

Does your photograph of 305 Sqn Wellington II "Z8406", show the aircraft (with damage?, to left engine), being manhandled by several men in front of a hangar which displays the Polish eagle? If so, the same shot appears in the 305 Sqn history, Bomber Aircraft of 305 Squadron, by Lechostaw Musialkowski, Mushroom/Stratus, 2014, p.19. The caption reads:

Wellington II SM-C with C1 type roundel on the fuselage. The C1 type markings replaced the earlier A1 ones from 15 May 1942 on. The aircraft has been miscaptioned in several publications as SM-G, Z8406.

Disregard if not pertinent.

Col.

Thanks

Hello Col,

The photo came to me from a different source but it is exactly as you describe it and the date you give was 10/11 days after this particular incarnation of SM-G was lost. So it is very pertinent! Thank you for this information - it has saved me a real wild goose chase

Thanks

Z-8406 does not show any damage in the movement card. Maybe another aircraft?

Richard

Thanks

Thank you,

It seems that the photo I had was misidentified and the photo showing the damage was indeed another aircraft.