Thread: Livery of a 23 squadron mosquito mk vi in jan. 1944

Thanks

Default Livery of a 23 squadron mosquito mk vi in jan. 1944

To build an accurate model, I look for the camouflage of a Mosquito of Squadron 23, in 1944.

More precisely, the A/C concerned is the Mosquito VI HJ788 "YP-F" piloted by Alastair Lawson, that shot down a JU88 above Toulouse on 6 Jan. 1944;

I have contradictory info: pictures from IWM show black under and brown/green above, but I heard that the MK VI were all green...

what is your opinion ? Any profile to suggest me ?

Thanks in advance

GC

Thanks

Hello to GC

First, I am not a model builder, but think I can guide you to the correct camouflage.

Quote:

"Mosquito FB VI, HJ675, YP-V of No. 23 Sqn, Italy, Circa 1943.

HJ675 is finished in the Intruder Scheme of Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey which was applied to the Night Fighter Scheme on the uppersurfaces and Night on the undersurfaces. National markings are Red, White and Yellow as appropriate - National marking I on the uppersurface og the mainplanes - 54 inches diameter.

National marking III on the sides of the fuselage - 36 inches diameter. Tail fin marking (i) - 24 inches square. The serial number is 8 inches high in Night. The Squadron codes are approximately 30 inches in Red."

Source: Combat Colours Number 6 - de Havilland Mosquito Day and Night Fighters in RAF service: 1941 to 1945 by Paul Lucas (artwork by David Howley).

I will recommend you to buy or borrow the book to see colour codes and painting of surfaces.

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Scheme as Angus says but affected by the sun. RAF Dark Green will fade either the a grassy green or a chocolate brown, presumably depending upon supplier. This brown was clearly visible on examples of 50s jets filling British aircraft museums (eg Newark) a couple of decades back. Possibly there still are a few that haven't been repainted with modern paints. It is of course possible that the reproduction of the original photo may be affecting the precise shade.

Thanks

Thanks guys !

GC