Thread: Special Navigation Flight at 11 OTU in Bassingbourn/Chipping Warden in autumn 1942

Thanks

Default Special Navigation Flight at 11 OTU in Bassingbourn/Chipping Warden in autumn 1942

Hi,
    I am investigating the details of my grandfathers RAF career through his 3 tours 1941-1945, and have come across a segment that I cannot find any details on. Between first and second tours, he was at 16 OTU in Upper Heyford as W/T instructor for several months, and was then detached to what is described as "Special Navigation Flight" at Bassinbourn as part of No. 11 OTU in July and then immediately on to Chipping Warden as part of No. 12 OTU, and still referred to as "Special Navigation Flight" in the log book. During that time he seems to have been training on something, in Wellingtons. But I cant find out what it was that he was training? Was this one of the newer "hi-tech" navigation or tracking methods?
    In August he returned to Upper Heyford to his regular OTU posting, and eventually back to operations for second tour.

Can anybody help me with information about what he would have trained on in Wellingtons in the middle of 1942 at Bassinbourn and Chipping Warden?
    Regards
    Chris Smith

Thanks

And what is T.R. Training (that he did a lot of whilst on this Special Navigation Flight? I have searched an enormous number of resources to get to the bottom of T.R. Training, and found a few references to it from various airmens logbooks, but no explanation of what it stood for, or was.

Thanks

Hi Chris

As he was a WOp my immediate thought is that it was something to do with Radio Navigation and the time period coincides with the main roll-out of GEE so it may be he was sent to 11/12 OTU to learn about it in order to be able to instruct on it back at 16 OTU.

TR is probably Transmitter/Receiver but not sure how this would fit in with GEE, which basically just a receiver

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm,
    Thanks for your answer - I had suspected that it might have been concerned with the roll-out of new methods - GEE for example. I did not know that this date matched the GEE introduction, so that makes a lot of sense. I will do some more GEE investigation.
    Thanks for your help.

Regards
    Chris