Flying Officer
Guy HUBBARD (432)



3-12-40 F/O Guy Hubbard, age 29 Narromine War Cemetery 5 EFTS Tiger Moth A17-32 Stalled to avoid collision near aerodrom

Student Badly Hurt.
Flying-Officer Guy Hubbard, 29, was
killed and Leading-Aircraftman Wil-
liam Clifford Bate, 23, was seriously
injured when a Royal Australian Air
Force light training plane crashed at
Narromine yesterday.
Flying-Officer Hubbard was a flight instructor
attached to the No 5 Elementary Flying
Training School and was accompanying Bate,
a cadet receiving instruction on a training flight.

A statement issued from RAAF Central
Area headquarters last night said that while
flying close to the boundary of the aerodrome
the plane was seen to turn quickly apparently
in an effort to avoid another machine. It
then stalled, spun and crashed into the
ground. As a result of the injuries he received
Flying-Officer Hubbard died soon afterwards.

Bate was admitted to Dubbo Hospital
suffering from concussion, a fractured leg and
eye injuries. His condition is serious.
Mr Geroge Sollars who was working in
a market garden about 60 yards from where
the plane crashed said two planes were com-
ing in to land from the east when one
swerved to the right as though attempting
to avoid a collision It twisted and then
dropped to the ground nose first.
Sollars added that the two planes appeared
to be between 30 and 40 feet apart and
the plane that crashed appeared to be only
about 40 feet from the ground.
Arthur Wood who was droving a mob of
sheep along a road said the plane went into
a tail spin and crashed nose first.
Sollars immediately rushed to the scene and
pulled Bate from the rear cockpit and laid
him on one of the planes crumpled wings
to await the arrival of Air Force officials
and the Air Force ambulance.
Sollars said that the instructor was jammed
against the front cockpit instrument board
and that Air Force officers had to cut a
twisted mass of metal away before he could
be removed.
An Air Force guard was immediately
placed round the plane, and the district
coroner Mr W R Payten later made an
inspection of the wreckage.
Formerly of Oatley (NSW) Flying Officer
Hubbard attended Randwick High School
and later Sydney Technical College where
he studied aircraft subjects. He gained his
commercial pilots licence in August 1939
went to Point Cook Service Flying Training
School for a flight instructor's course and
was posted to Archerfield Elementary Flying
Training School as a flying-officer last March.
He was transferred to Narromine late in
Leading Aircraftman Bate was prominent
in Melbourne Grammar School athletics from
1931 to 1934 and represented that school at
football. After four years in a civil engineers
office he Joined the RAAF as a pupil-pilot
in August. He is the son of Mr W C Bate,
shire engineer of Leongatha (Vic)