Thread: BOAC personnel involved in RAF air supply of Malta, circa May 1942?

Thanks

Default BOAC personnel involved in RAF air supply of Malta, circa May 1942?

I have posed a number of questions over the past days that have arisen from my research into a Danish radio officer, U. H. Jensen, who was in BOAC service and who also served in the RAF (seconded or as part of a BOAC/RAF agreement). In a post war article (1953) on among other things his war time activities, he explains that he was part of a group stationed in Asmara, later Cairo that flew traonsport flights in the area. From his story it seems to be linked with the RAF/BOAC plan (aka Tedder Plan).

He also states that they flew a number of misions with supplies for Malta at some point.

In Higham, R (2013) Speedbird: The Complete History of BOAC, page 41, it is mentioned that "In May 1942 a night service to Malta operated for a short time via forward airstrips until Rommel's last advance made it impossible."

Would anyone be familiar with these BOAC night operations for Malta, and possible how to obtain more information?

Best regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel

Could I suggest you contact the British Airways Museum at Harmondsworth, Middlesex; email address is ba.1.museum@britishairways.com . I have found the archivists there very helpful in respect of wartime flights between Scotland and North America, and also Sweden and the UK.

The website is at https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-collection

Brian

Thanks

Brian

Thank you. I have been in touch with them years back to ask if, they had more info on my man. They did not. But perhaps they no more about the operation.

BTW, I have updated my info on him, cf.
    http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?person=235

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War