Thread: The Mohicans Tomahawk Pilots

Thanks

Default The Mohicans Tomahawk Pilots

Has anyone come across any references to SAAF Tomahawk Pilots being referred to as Mohicans I came across such a reference in the 5 SAAF Squadron records.

Thanks

Colin,
    One can only assume (v dangerous in this game!!) that said Pilots had haircuts resembling those of a number of N American native tribes? (see the Wiki history!).
    Fashions come and go.
    Being Fighter Pilots, they would have pushed 'it' to the limits, until the "Boss" (or the "Boss'" "Boss") said "Enough"
    Not a lot changes with time? Just the fashions, and the fashionistas!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter it would appear that the term relates to members of the Squadron that survived the significant losses in the Desert operations and then became casualties later in the war, the last of the Mohicans, it makes sense when the context is understood. Looking at those Tomahawk pilot losses they were high !

Thanks

5 Squadron was formed in April 1939 at Cape Town as a fighter-bomber unit but was disbanded in December 1939. The squadron reformed on 7 May 1941 at Swartkop with Mohawk IVs and was nicknamed the Chakas after a Zulu warrior-king.
    Not quite a Mohican but may be an indicator of some sort.....

Thanks

Colin

I'd go with the latter comment as being likely the last of the Mohawk pilots, depending on the time frame. The losses of Pilots, whilst high, I'm afraid to say was pretty normal for the time frame, most of the Tomahawk and Kittyhawk units were taking some significant losses. The tracking of units I've completed shows most units having approx 400 aircraft (Tomahawk/Kittyhawk) from 1941 til late 1944/45 (thos that flew them that long)

I still like the line about the cook needing a VC for producing the food without sand in a sand storm, South African ORB's have some gems in them, although can be very hit and miss with serial numbers, and other info.

regards

Buz