Thread: POW/Hospital records

Thanks

Default POW/Hospital records

Iím looking for a source for German POW and/or hospital records for my uncle F/O Albert Ransome Ball. Do these type of records exist and if yes where would one find them?

Thanks

Dear John
    I have never come across actual German or POW records from any source other than POW record cards that the POWs themselves liberated at the end of the war. If you contact the International Red Cross archives in Geneva, they may be able to provide a list of hospitals and camps that a POW was in, but no more, and no original documents.
    I hope this helps
    James

Thanks

Some of the German records are now available at the National Archives, WO416 War Office: German Record cards of British and Commonwealth Prisoners of War and some Civilian Internees, Second World War.

Some are only available on a FOI request, as all records are "closed" until 100 years after the birth of the relevant airman.

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 15th December 2018 at 17:32.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Dear Pete
    Thank you. I had no idea that there were any records at Kew. I will put this on the list for my next visit.
    Best wishes
    James