Thread: Scatsta/Sullom Voe & the Norwegians

Thanks

Default Scatsta/Sullom Voe & the Norwegians

I've been to Scatsta by air (several times) - for the Oil Terminal at Sullom Voe - during my tour with The Oily Boys. The runway at Scatsta is not all that generous and in a strong cross-wind can be quite exciting!! (Good job the undercarts of 748s/Andovers were built like the traditional brick chicken-house!!!).
    Just where, though, was the a/c slipway at Sullom Voe? Which of the various Norwegian Sqns operated from Scatsta/Sullom? Who may tell me who, where, when, and with what, about this far-flung part of the UK? And is there an ex-RAF/Norwegian website, or historian, who might be able to put me in touch with any aircrew survivors from those days?
    An old (and also well retired - but now house-bound in Shetland) colleague grew up on a croft next to Scatsta. He remembers, as a very small boy, being brought a tin drum, as a present, by one of the Norwegian aircrew from Reykjavik! The Norwegian aircrew had some things (tinned fruit, alcoholic liquids, etc,) the wartime crofters were short of. The wartime crofters had some things (fresh eggs, fresh chickens, etc) which the Norwegian aircrew were short of. Mutual exchanges/barterings took place!!!! Not a lot changes!
    After all, Shetland was part of Norway for longer than most of us realise!!
    I simply seek information. Contacts would be a bonus.
    I thank anyone who cares to spend some time on this problem for me!
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 4th August 2008 at 15:46.

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Both 330 and 333 Sqn

http://www.rafcommands.com/Coastal/330C.html

http://www.rafcommands.com/Coastal/333C.html

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

One possible source for contacts is the museum at Scalloway. This is dedicated to the operation of the Shetland Bus, Norwegian sailors running between the Shetlands and occupied Norway. I don't recall any mention of the Norwegian squadrons when I was there, but the curator might well have contacts with Norwegian historians of WW2.

Thanks

Ross, Good Afternoon,
    Tks yr early response. We (on the Forum generally, and our Met blokes/blokesses in particular) spend much of our time trying to work how, where, when, and why 'X' was blown/crashed/torpedoed to smithereens. Be nice just once in a while to get "a result" for some of the lighter things of WW2!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Graham, Hi,
    Tks the heads-up. At least one of the Noggie Sqns at Scatsta/Sullom was involved - at least for a time - in Agent/Supply running to obscure bits of the Norwegian coast when they were flying Catalinas! The Tempsford of Shetland?!!!!!!!
    Tks
    Peter Davies

Thanks

I was looking for another source last night without success, but I think I've found it this morning.
    http://vingtor.net/
    From this site, contact Nils Mathisrud. I've known of him for many years as a leading historian in WW2 Norwegian aviation. He was responsible for a very good website dealing with Norwegian Mosquitoes, and Catalinas, which seems to have disappeared. If you do find it again, please let us know where it is!

Thanks

Graham
    If you have not found it yet
    http://home.online.no/~vingtor/

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Thank you, yes.