Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service Records - Abbreviations / Locations

Thanks

Default Service Records - Abbreviations / Locations

I've lost / misplaced a sheet I'd compiled with abbreviations for reading Service Records and I'm stumped trying to trace a few locations on a set of records, which I'd also emailed to a few folks using the old Lancaster Archives Forum pages to help with their research so you might be one of them. If so and you recognise my name can you email a copy back please?

I'd hoped to be writing a few pages of a story by now but I'm spending so much time trawling the 'net to find info, so can I ask for a little help please?
    I know that you guys out there will probably have the answers to hand so here goes.
    (I'd post up an image of the relevant part of the page but can't see an option to do so?)

I've a trainee pilot heading from "1 ACDC" at Lords Cricket Ground in March 1942 to "ACDW" "H"...........No location is given.
    "9 RCC" is given on April first...............No location is given.
    There's an unreadable line of italic text next, which might be "S Rhodesia" followed again by "H" but very unclear and movement was 13/4/42
    Then on 21/5/42 he's off to "1TW" with a scribbled "Byo".....(could be 1 Training Wing/Unit? Bulawayo?
    "27EFTS" confirms my suspicion there, as he's posted there on 23/10/42.
    On the 16th of January '43 he's at "22SFTS", (Service Flying Training School) the location of which I should know but I don't!
    Home Embarkation begins on 25/7/43 and he's back in the UK on August 12th then...
    By the next day he's at "7 FRC"......location please?
    Then he's off to Little Rissington a month later "6 PAFU" for his Advanced Flying.

Then there's a mystery line,
    "1525 BAT Flr (A)" on 16/11/43 which has me stumped completely!
    He's back at "6 PAFU" until January of 1944 before going off to Harwell and "15 OTU" then to "11 OTU" at Wescott.

I have most of the locations and dates and reasons for being there up until his "Missing" post in August of 1944, and there's more about that to follow where I maye well need a bit of help!!

Thanks in advance, "Season's Greetings" to you all.
    Last edited by Jagan; 20th December 2018 at 15:56.

Thanks

Hello Jake,
    I have moved your post to the GENERAL forum where it will get more views. I must say, for the benefit of any other viewers who also are stumped, that I don't see any 'BANNED' content or subject matter: please point it out if it is there, we are careful about such matters.
    Good luck with unpicking the the story, I am sure someone can start you off.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Apologies Bruce, my reference to BANNED was not the content or subject but in reply to the message which keeps appearing saying that I'm banned.

Thanks

Jake,

Your mystery line is No. 1525 Beam Approach Training Flight.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Jake, Hi,
    He was Attached (‘A’) for a temporary period to 1525 Beam Approach Training (BAT) Flight which was at RAF Docking.
    HTGH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks you both David and Peter. I've never seen that explanation before.

Thanks

The reason for the delay in replying is that I keep getting the "Banned" message when I try to sign in.....seems I'm not alone but Admin are working on a solution.

Thanks

I wonder Peter, would he have been "(A) Attached" as a pilot to assist training other crew (Navigators, Radio Ops), or may he have been actually being trained at this point? He'd had his Flying Badge awarded 8 months previously.

Thanks

Jake, Hi,

Everybody in the RAF had/has to be “somewhere” all the time. This is for Pay, Rations, etc, etc. That “somewhere” is usually the Permanent Station. A set of documents for the individual is also kept in SHQ at the Permanent Station.

But from time-to-time it might be necessary for someone to go to another Station for a short period of time. To achieve this the individual is Detached from the Permanent Station and Attached to the temporary Station. A temporary set of docs is sent to the temporary Station.

These Attachments are usually for short periods of instruction, courses, training, etc, etc. If an individual is to go to a new Station, and become part of the staff of a Unit there for the purpose of giving instructions then the individual is normally formally Posted from the Old Permanent Station to the New Permanent Station.

That’s the general idea. There are lots of variations on that theme depending on operational requirements!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Jake

Airmen that were trained overseas were sent to an AFU when they returned to the UK so that they could be acclimatised to flying conditions over the UK and Europe (eg blackouts, terrain, weather, barrage balloons, crowded skies etc). I am guessing that as part of this process, they were attached to a BATF for Beam Approach Training.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]