Thread: Malta Stations?

Thanks

Default Malta Stations?

In reading through my grandfather's service record, I have found a few troublesome abbreviations that maybe the generous people on this board can assist with.

On my grandfather's RAAF Form P./P. 83 (RAF Form 280) "Certificate of the Service and Discharge of" there is a series of postings with their associated departure authorities, date of effect and arrival authorities.

There is the usual series of postings from the recruting centre, initial training school, EFTS, SFTS, embarkation depot, personnel reception centre, OTU, and then a series of operational squadrons/stations/commands, and a couple of hospital visits.

However, the penultimate posting entry is as follows:

Departure Authority - POR 1/43
    Unit from which - Ta Kali, Malta
    Unit to which - I/C/W/T Station (the "I" is actually written as "l")
    Date of effect - 31.4.43

I don't know, and can't find, any reference to an RAF Station I/C/W/T, but it is obviously located on Malta.

The date of effect is 5 weeks after commencing 6 months incarceration (his second period of such) on Malta.

The final postings entry is the return to Australia (from Malta) in August '43.

Adrian
    Last edited by AdrianR8; 14th November 2007 at 11:01.
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Hi Adrian
    Is it possible that when that close to leaving Malta or after one of his Hospital visits your Father was posted on rest to become the Officer I/C(in charge) of a/the W/T(Wireless Telegraphy) Station on Malta? I don't know where it was but there must have been such a facility for long range communication and probably in or near the Malta HQ and on a small Island only the one for the RAF.Just a guess.
    Regard
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 14th November 2007 at 11:07.

Thanks

Almost zero chance of that Dick. But I can certainly see why you have proposed that. My grandfather, F/Sgt W.R. Irwin (Spitfire pilot with 229 Sqdn at the time), was convicted of stealing in Oct/Nov 42 whilst on Malta and sentenced to 112 days imprisonment and reduced to the ranks (AC1 in this instance). On release in late March 43 he stole again and was subsequently sentenced to a further 6 months detention (ending in late July 43 after earning 2 months good behaviour). The posting to I/C/W/T Station occurs around 5 weeks into that last period of incarceration.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)