Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mention in Despatches - Citation

Charlotte Guest

Default Mention in Despatches - Citation

I am trying to track down the citation for my late father's Mention in Despatches, which was posted in the Supplement to the London Gazette dated 14th January, 1944. His name was Flight Lieutenant P J Bryce-Curtis and he was a Medical Officer. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Charlotte, I do not think there will be a citation as such, a MiD is what is says, a Mention in Despatches.. Senior commanders were asked to write a report on what they have achieved 'the despatch' and if someones' name was mentioned in it (for some specific good deed or deeds or hard work' ) then they were MiD

Air Ministry, 14th January, 1944.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the publication of the names of the following personnel who have been mentioned in despatches by Air Officers Commanding-in-Chief"

So you will need to find the despatch that actually mentioned your father's medical service...

Peter John BRYCE-CURTIS M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P Service Number: 130116 R.A.F.V.R.

BTW the Gazette Issue his MiD is Gazette Issue 36329 published on the 11 January 1944.
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 5th August 2008 at 15:59.

Charlotte Guest

Thank you for your advice on this, although it sounds as though I have an enormous task on my hands!

Thanks

Charlotte

Any idea where you father was serving at the time?

Paul

Charlotte Guest

He was at Warboys, with Pathfinders. But, as MO, he spent quite a lot of time driving round to other airfields. The problem is that, without knowing the date of the event for which he was mentioned, I can't pinpoint where he was at the time from his diaries!

Charlotte

Thanks

It may not have been one event, but an accumalation of good/valuable service up to that time.

Have you got his service records?

A

Thanks

Aren't 'Despatches' supposed to be printed in the London Gazette

Thanks

Hello All,
    Yup, Despatches are printed in the LG. Just putting 'Despatch' into the WW2 section of the LG produces 358 hits!!!! The first that came up was for a period in 1941 when the RAF were in one of the stages of the North African Handicap Race!!!!! Issue No 37729 printed in Sep 46.
    I don't know about others on this Forum, but I never seem to get the same set of 'hits' from the LG for the same 'input subject' for two days running!!
    Charlotte, you were right. Could be a BIG task!!! However, there are Experts on this Forum who can teach you some of 'the tricks of the trade' when interrogating the LG!
    Keep us posted how you get on!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Charlotte Guest

Hi Amrit. Yes I've got a copy of his service record but all it says is M in D 14.1.44 (291).

Charlotte Guest

Does this mean that the full Despatch would have been printed in the Gazette, in addition to his mention in the Supplement to the Gazette?