Thread: Rozevink, KLM/BOAC

Thanks

Default Rozevink, KLM/BOAC

Can any-one help with the place & date of birth of

Rozevink, Engbertus, Flight Engineer, KLM/BOAC,
    † Atlantic Ocean near Golf van Biscaje, 01/06/1943 (MIA)
    Douglas DC-3 G-AGBB 'Ibis', formerly PH-ALI
    Civil Flight Nr. 777a Lisbon Portela to Whitchurch
    Shot down by a Ju.88 of V./KG40, from Loriënt, France, flown by Ltn. Bellstedt. Time 12:54h BST, Atlantic Ocean near Gulf of Biscay, approx. 46º30' N, 09º40' W
    He may have had the British nationality, reason for OGS not to mention him. He is known to CWGC. His parents lived in Amsterdam.

Regards,

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Philips; 6th August 2008 at 08:19. Reason: Typo corrected

Thanks

Rob,

Not a direct answer to your question, but the there is a marriage entry here:

http://doddemagen.com/tng/getperson.php?personID=I2003&tree=1

which may well refer to his parents?

Errol

Thanks

Thanks, Errol. Nice to see that you, from New Zealand, key in a few characters and get access to Dutch genealogy information... His fathers name was Anno Rozevink. The site does not offer a clear link between the aviator and this Rozevink family, but the name is so very Dutch that a family tie is likely. The Dutch genealogy site, www.genlias.nl, does not offer further clues. He was most likely Dutch, and obtained the British nationality when working for KLM/BOAC in the UK.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Rob,

For what it's worth, Hagens, Vol. 2, p. 237 refers to a "more recent" book by Rozevink's son, Ben, titled "Het werkelijke verhaal over Vlucht 777".

Regards,

Hans

Thanks

Thanks, Hans, good tip. I'm aware of the existence of his son Ben Rozevink, but I do not have contact details. Perhaps that book shall offer a lead.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

I was hoping it might.

Hans

Thanks

Thanks, Hans. It took me a while to realize that you are the same Hans that I've been emailing with tonight. The Ben Rozevink book was reviewed in "Flypast", and that trail is being followed to obtain contact details.

Regards,

Rob

Wilco ww2awards Guest

Here is another story on the crash, no birthdate there also.

http://www.law.uga.edu/academics/profiles/dwilkes_more/other_1ashley.html

Thanks

Thanks, Wilco. I have read Ian Colvin's "Vlucht 777 - Een raadselachtige K.L.M.-vlucht in woelige dagen", 1957, translated from english by E. and introduced by A. Viruly, Den Haag, no date. In this several hypothesis, not so much if Flight 777 was shot down, but about why this happened. The most popular hypothesis is that the Germans were after Churchill, and that a Churchill lookalike was on board. I could add that if you send guys with guns repeatedly after other guys, then at some point in time some-one is likely to get hurt. But there may be more to it than this, as Ben Rozevink has written "Het werkelijke verhaal over Vlucht 777". I do not know that one, but the title implies that there is more to tell. In any case, I just want to know the date & place of birth of Engbertus Rozevink.

Regards,

Rob