Thread: Young Airman Buried at Tilehurst, Reading

Thanks

Default Young Airman Buried at Tilehurst, Reading

Hello All,

This is just for interest!
    You learn something new every day!

I was hunting, on the internet, for something entirely different when happenstance informed me that a Cecil Baden Nightingale, of the RAF, was buried in the cemetery attached to St Michael’s Church, Tilehurst. This is my local ‘old’ church. So I looked him up on CWGC.

He was indeed Cecil Baden Nightingale. He was 189434 in the RAF. He appears to have Enlisted shortly after the RAF was invented. He died on Wed 5 June 1918 (cause not known) aged 18. His Birth was Reg Q3 1900 at Bradfield 2c 331. Bradfield is some 4 miles WNW of Calcot. He was the son of Albert Edmund and Mary Ann Nightingale, of The Nest, Bath Rd., Calcot, Reading. “The Nest” must be (or must have been) on the A4 Bath Road in Calcot (within a few hundred yards of where I now live!) but I can’t locate it!

But it was his Rank that surprised me. He is described as being a “Clerk 3rd Class”. I had never heard of that rank before!! Very strange! I just wonder what the technical qualifications were to achieve that rank, and what the Trade Test might have been to secure advancement to “Clerk 2nd Class”? Malcolm will, no doubt, have the answer!! CWGC tells me that quite a lot of these lowly Clerks were in their late-40s/early-50's at death. Seems a bit old?

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter

The Graves Registration Report Form records him as 'Air Man 3rd Class', hand-written over the originally typed 'Cl'k/3' which has been crossed out.

The Grave Registration Report however records him as 'Clk.III', and that he 'died of sickness.'

Just to add to the mix, his funeral was reported in the Reading Mercury of June 15th 1918, where he described as 'Pte. Cecil Baden Nightingale.'

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon, Tks for that.

Three things.

One - might the "died of sickness" be the 'Spanish' flu epidemic of about that time?

Two - I can understand the variations in OR rank titles at this time. 'They' were "making it up as they went along". Have done very much the same sort of thing in a different era!! LOL.

Three - His middle forename (Baden) might indicate that his NoK parents were, at one time, either 'In Service' with a Baden(-Powell?), or associated with ditto. The family that I research were often tenant farmers of, or In Service with, the Good/Great. They often 'middle' named their progeny after "them up at the Big House" in the hope of currying some sort of favours!

There seems to be a somewhat unusual Dissertation here for some first degree student?

Tks again,
    Peter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Three - His middle forename (Baden) might indicate that his NoK parents were, at one time, either 'In Service' with a Baden(-Powell?), or associated with ditto. The family that I research were often tenant farmers of, or In Service with, the Good/Great. They often 'middle' named their progeny after "them up at the Big House" in the hope of currying some sort of favours!
    Am too old to be writing dissertations again but just wanted to point out that names associated with the Boer War were very popular in 1900. Baden being one of them, after Baden Powell, the hero of Mafeking. Doesn't necessarily mean a direct link

https://www.britishbabynames.com/blo...ales-1900.html

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Hello,
    Tks to all who contributed to this little piece of arcane history. I've got the local Records Office chasing the address. If ever we find it, I will update this!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello All,

Update. My local Records Office has come up trumps (I DO like working with experts!!!)

I had no luck locating ‘The Nest’ on the Ordnance Survey map of 1912, as only large houses are named. Likewise, Kelly’s Directories from the period have no listing for the house. I then looked up the family in the 1911 census and found Albert Edward Nightingale, his wife and three sons (including Cecil) at a property on the Bath Rd in Calcot. His occupation is given as ‘blacksmith’ and the next property on the census enumerator’s list is the ‘George and Dragon’. Another look at the 1912 map shows that the only smithy marked is indeed next to the pub. I don’t think the original building housing the smithy is still there, the area seems to be part of the pub garden somewhere between the pub itself and the row of three terraces directly opposite the junction with Burghfield Road.

Go to GE 51.444331 -1.020610. Pull the "Street View" to the entrance to the pub car-park. That was where "The Nest" probably was! In WW1 days they 'parked' the then major form of transport - horses - next to the pub. The blacksmith, at "The Nest", shoe'd 'em, and probably did other 'horse stuff'? The blacksmith's son was in the new RAF. He caught the flu? QED!

History is a wonderful thing.

Peter Davies

Thanks

Just a thought, Peter, but have you tried the 1939 Register? That would almost certainly give not only 'The Nest', but other houses in the road.

Brian

Thanks

The 1920 Electoral Register has Albert Edmund Nightingale, plus Mary Ann Nightingale and Albert James Nightingale, at 'The Nest', which is listed between 'The Elms' and 'Blacksmith's Shop and House', with the 'George and Dragon' next.

The Blacksmith is occupied by Ellen and Ernest Cooper, and the George & Dragon by Matilda Tull.

I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) that they are in 'geographical' order...

The Bath Road listing on that part of the Register goes as follows:

80 Bath Road
    Honey Edge Lodge
    Claremont
    Braemore
    South View
    The Elms
    The Nest
    Blacksmith's Shop & House
    George and Dragon
    Horn Castle
    Castle Villa
    World's End
    Kennels Cottage
    Kennels Bungalow
    Cherwell
    Bonavisto
    Southcot Nurseries

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks for the additional info. Our Cecil is now a 'deceased person' - not just a number/name. Subtle difference!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies