Thread: Meaning of the ORB term: R.C.A.F. A.M.O. 945/44 para 7, para 4.

Thanks

Default Meaning of the ORB term: R.C.A.F. A.M.O. 945/44 para 7, para 4.

In viewing the 419 Squadron ORB's online, and postings in and out, I came across the term:
    R.C.A.F. A.M.O. 945/44 para 7, as relating to "R" depot.

also: R.C.A.F. A.M.O. 945/44 para 4.

Does anyone have any information as to the meaning of these abbreviations?

http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...92/906?r=0&s=3

Jim

Thanks

Hi Jim,

AMO = Air Ministry Order

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Looking at F/O Haskey a few lines higher - ''R'' = Repatriation Depot ??

Thanks

Hi bvs,

I think so - see:

https://www.archeion.ca/r-repatriation-depot

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi

Basically it means: -

Royal Canadian Air Force, Air Ministry Order No 945 of 1944, paragraph 7 and paragraph 4.

It probably relates to the reason for his repatriation, but you'd need to see a copy of the document to understand how.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks all: I have been working through my father's service and operations with 419 Squadron, from September 1944 through March 1945. As such I have been looking through the ORB's and other attached documents, including the "Battle Orders" which include the detailed crew lists, etc. I just happened to notice the entry for F/O R.W. Smalley, J35632, who together with his crew was posted to 419 Squadron from 61 Base(1664 C.U.) w.e.f. 16/10/44. He and his crew flew on 3 trips: to Essen Oct 25, 1944, Cologne Oct 28, 1944, and Bochum, Nov 4 1944. I cannot find a record of Smalley being a 2nd Pilot prior to these trips. Later in the ORBs for November, I find the entry: "Posted to "R" Depot w.e.f. 29/11/44 Posted to "R" Depot w.e.f. 29/11/44 (A.M.O. 945/44 para. 4)".

However, the rest of his crew were not posted away, but served with other crews. For example Sgt Nozzolillo was with the Blaney crew that was shot down on a raid to Dortmund Feb 20, 1945. He became a POW. F/S Shields also with the Blaney crew was killed in a motor vehicle accident December 20, 1944. F/O JG Gibbs and F/O DW Spence were killed on a raid to Bonn (Feb 3, 1945) together with 4 others with F/Lt "Slim" Barlow's crew. At this time, I cannot find anything "notable" in the 419 Squadron history for either Sgt W.J. Smith (RAF) or FS D.R. Miller. Without reviewing the ORB's for postings in and out, I presume the survived the war.

Without further information on "A.M.O. 945/44 para. 4" which seems to be an elusive document, I am uncertain as to the particulars of F/O Smalley.

Jim

Thanks

I believe that copies of all Air Ministry Order are still held on file somewhere in the UK, so I humbly suggest that anybody who knows exactly where they can be found could perhaps speak up and put Jim out of his misery! Although these are headed as RCAF Orders, I believe they are actually the original RAF ones (as indicated by the title), which had general powers to inform and assist all Allied air personal serving under RAF operational command (unless specifically excluded), including Article XV squadrons, as well as perhaps other Allied forces such as the "free" air forces of overrun European nations, and others from further afield. It made sense that the Air ministry acted as a sort of overall administrative HQ to co-ordinate all the disparate forces in the various theatres of operations, and that these forces should follow general RAF administration, etc., although various allowances could be made to suit particular circumstances of certain nations.
    David D