Thread: WWII RAF Officer widow pension

Thanks

Default WWII RAF Officer widow pension

Hi all,

I would like to find our some information about economic situation of a widow after the RAF officer who got killed during the WWII.
    I have tried to find something, but I was able to read only documents dealing with the actual situation, not with WWII period.

I am interested if she was entitled to some annual pension from the RAF for the rest of war and also after the war?
    It is possible to estimate the year amount?
    Also how long would she will be getting the money?

She lived and worked for the rest of her live in London and never re-married.

Any information or/and advice much appreciated

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,
    I've sent you an email off-Forum!
    Yrs
    Peter
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter thank you very much for your information.

I am still interested if someone can add more info related exactly to the WWII and post-WWII period.

Pavel

Thanks

The wonderful world of War Pensions is obviously complex and the laws have been amended a number of times over the years. I don't purport to be an expert, so I have taken the following from a period paper:

"WAR WIDOWS' PENSIONS.

Grounds for Claiming Allowances By Pensions Expert.

A war widow can claim a pension (a) If her husband's death was due to, or hastened by, a wound, injury, or disease attributable to war service, or (b) if death was due to the aggravation by war service of conditions existing before or arising during such service.
    This point has to be remembered. Except in serious disablement which was the primary cause of death no pension can be expected unless marriage took place before the end of the war, or before the date the fatal wound was received and her husband's discharge, which ever was the earlier.
    A widow, in addition to her own pension, can claim an allowance for each child under 16 (In the case of the children of a member of the Forces of the rank of a sergeant major or equivalent, the age limit is raised to 18), providing she is maintaining these children. These ages are increased if the child is a student or apprentice, or if any infirmity rules out self support. Then there is a supplementary allowance for rent and rates if a widow has children."

There is a lot more besides this. War Pensions were taxable. They ceased if the widow remarried, but a gratuity was payable (children's allowances were not so affected). Separated widows could claim a pension under certain circumstances. Unmarried women living as a wife could also receive a pension under certain circumstances. Husbands and near relatives were also eligible if the deceased was the sole means of support. etc.

The Ministry worked out the pension rates, and each case would have been different, so I'm not sure that you will be able to work out a pension rate for the individual you are referring to.

Rgds

Jonny
    Last edited by jonny; 6th February 2019 at 09:05.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Jonny, thank you very much for informative reply. May I ask you for the source + its date?

I understand I will be not able to get the exact amount, but I would like to understand to the general rules (as this theme is totally new to me). My goal (if possible) is to get some information like she was obtaining "approx. xx % of his pay" or something like this.

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel,

The piece came from the Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer of Monday 12 November 1945.

Best of luck with the quest!

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Jonny thank you for the bibliography

Pavel