Thread: Default Unaccounted New Zealand Airman 01/04/1947 ??

Thanks

Default Default Unaccounted New Zealand Airman 01/04/1947 ??

OK I have not got immediate access to Errol's books but on ancestry there is a Family Tree for a Jan Jochemus Geldenhuys VAN NOORDWYK who "Birth: 1911 Riversdale Masterton Wellington New Zealand "

He died in South Africa as an LAC Mechanic in SAAF 01/04/1947

On his marriage Cert for 18 Dec 1941 he is listed as Divorced and born 1909 in 'Cape Province'

with the name 'Jan Jochemus Geldenhuys Janse Van Noordwyk' to Adelaide Magdaline Suzal Jason

His age is listed in 1947 as 36 - So 1911 is a better match

Was he born in NZ and technically one of Errol's 'New Zealanders'

Of course the Family Tree on Ancestry could have wrong birth location

I could not find him Searching NZ births

Thanks

Thanks

Hi RR

Yes that is him! Well down for finding those links I didnít find them when I looked !

So now he born in Australia as well

That is 3 countries !

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

I don't see any Australian connection in either of those links but I suspect that the Geni entry showing him born 6 August 1911 at Riversdale, W C [Western Cape], South Africa is correct.

The 'Riversdale Masterton Wellington New Zealand' is rather odd, as this Riversdale is on the East Coast of the North Island some 40km east of the town of Masterton which is not what I would think to be a normal way of describing its location. Wellington is of course the province of both places. A search of New Zealand newspapers online at Papers Past brings up Noordwyk only as the place, not as a persons name. So I think we can be pretty safe in dismissing any New Zealand birth for this man.

Cheers,
    Errol

Thanks

Paul/Errol,

The only (very remote), connection I can find for any Australian/Van Noordyk connections, are Paul's possible misinterpretation (in the family tree), of the first name of Van Noordyk's second wife - "Adelaide" ie, Adelaide, Capital of South Australia.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 7th February 2019 at 04:12.

Thanks

The problem may lay with ancestry's lcoation database, for example.

I've been trying to get three or four family trees on the site to fix this problem for some years now:

An American 2/Lt is shot down in 1943 over teh Medd so is MIA, Missing in Action. These tree holders have typed in MIA in the place of death field and low behold, the airman now magically died in the town of Mia, in the Congo.

If you type in Dublin, its prompts you to chose Dublin, Ireland from a little drop down list.

Now rather that pratle on like this, why don;t I test this hypothesis before typing... bear with me

Thanks

Yes, if one starts to type Riversdale into ancestry you are prompted to at least 8 places around the world, three or four in South Africa, one each in Ireland, NZ, Australia, etc etc etc.

That would be my guess at least.

Thanks

All
    Yes looks like the original Ancestry poster giot confused on Riversdale as well

I saw "WC" as "WA"

No NZ link whatstover

Thanks

Paul