Thread: D.F.C. query F/Lt J.D. Hill 106673. RAFVR.

Thanks

Default D.F.C. query F/Lt J.D. Hill 106673. RAFVR.

This chap was a member of the RAF Film Production Unit (operational Section). He was in a Lancaster of 166 Squadron shot down during a raid on Hannover in September 1943 and made a P.O.W. I am trying to find out why and where he was awarded the D.F.C.
    I know that he flew in Mosquitos and Bostons but I am not sure if this was when he was attached to the Film Unit.
    The Carters' D.F.C. book simply says 'RAF Station (HQ) Swanton Morley' but gives no 'Squadron'as such.
    The DFC was gazetted 28/03/44 but award w.e.f 18/08/43.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Barnsley

In case you hadn't seen it, he is mentioned on this page on the Aircrewremembered website:

http://aircrewremembered.com/knott-sidney.html

It states that as well as being a member of the Film Unit, he was a Navigator. There is a biography near the bottom of the page, which records that he was a member of the G.P.O. film unit pre-war, and post war worked as a film and TV director and producer, including being the director of Born Free:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0384342/..._=nm_ov_bio_sm

Note that it states that "Donald Pleasence's character, Flight Lt. Colin Blythe, "The Forger" in The Great Escape (1963), was based on Hill."

There is also an article about him and his work with the G.P.O. Film Unit in the Leeds Mercury of October 26th 1938.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks Simon. Really interesting stuff. I had no idea of his post war career.