Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: POW and Evaders Database Work

Thanks

Default Re: The Last Lot (for this time!) Of "Difficult" POWs

Hi Peter,

Myrdolin Davis [Royal Air Force] ?
    Possibly a weak connection, but I have found a Sgt Myrddin Davies, 2788 Sqn, RAF Regiment, captured c. 25 Aug 1944 and held at Stalag Luft VII Bankau.

Source: The Long Road: Trials and Tribulations of Airmen Prisoners from Stalag Luft
    Oliver Clutton-Brock, Raymond Crompton
    Pg 204

Also here

Posted in the hope that maybe someone can dig further/better than I can.

Thanks

Yes, that's him. Myrddin Lloyd Davies on the Civil Registration Death Index, born February 27th 1920, as per WO416.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

ResckessRat, Brilliant!
    Almost certainly him!! Only prob is that I have him as an LAC, and going "in the bag" on 25 Aug 1944. That begins to look like the RAF Regt guarding airfields/LGs after D-Day - and coming unstuck? Little time from then, to release, for "Timed Promotions" to have taken effect? Forward Sqn Ldr Sherlock Holmes, SIB??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    PS Paul, delete "Myrdolin Davis". Sorry to unconsolidate yr consolidated list!!!! But 'folk' will keep producing data that makes a mockery of any 'consolidation'!!!!!!!!! After 4+ decades in HMQ's scientific civil service I grew wary of 'consolidated lists'!! LOL
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Another one:

Clifton Kustrin - Royal Air Force - Sergeant - WO416 has his D.o.B. as 26/05/1918 at Melbourne, and he's on ancestry.co.uk as Clifton Edward Austin, born May 26th 1918.
    He's also on the 'Registration of Foreigners and German Persecutees, 1939-1947' as a member of a Lancaster crew with F. W. Hayman, G. R. Berry and F.G. Given, captured 22.11.1942, which would make it this Lancaster (note date, however):

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?uniq=W4273

Regards

Simon

Thanks

“Myrddin Davies.
    Date of Birth: 27/2/1920.
    Place of Birth: Ystrad.“ is WO 416/90/22 Service Number: 1169790. which matches Myrddin Lloyd Davies
    1169790 1940 Royal Air Force

We also have WO 416/91/42 Name: Myrdolin Davis.
    Date of Birth: 27/02/1920.
    Place of Birth: Wales.
    Service: [Royal Air Force]?

Which looks like a duplicate record

Thanks

J38637

John Raymond Jamieson Canada PoW of Vickers Wellington Mk IC X9630, 17 Jul 1941 Vickers Wellington Mk IC. Owner/operator: 40 Squadron Royal Air Force ( 40 Sqn RAF)

Thanks

Default Some "New Customers" - Can You Check Them Out Please

Hello All,

While waiting for the next batch of WO416 I have been ‘poking about’.
    One of the sites I visited was http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/rafexpow/. There was a page list of recently deceased POWs, and where to find their Obits. I checked their names against the data on our Googlesheet. There were 4 FEPOWs, and we already have them on the FEPOW tab.
    Most of the rest (ETO POW) checked out – except four. They are:-

Jack Best. Nearest I can get to him is Flt Lt John William Best (89772), RAF. One of the designers/builders of the Colditz Glider!

Lt Gen(!) Albert P Clark, USAF. He was said to have been in The Great Escape team (first I’ve heard of this!). If this is correct, then why was a USA(A?)F Very Senior Officer incarcerated with the RAF?

Flt Lt(or Sqdn Ldr?) Wladyslaw Gnys (P1298), RAF/PAF, Pilot 302 Sqdn. Do we know how/where/when he became POW?

Phil Lamason, DFC*, RNZAF is said to have been SBO at Buchenwald. Is this Sqn Ldr Philip John Lamason, DFC*, (403460), RNZAF. And how/where/when did he “go in the bag”?

These four were hiding away, but proved to be four very interesting “new customers”!!!

HTH/TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: Some "New Customers" - Can You Check Them Out Please

Peter

Jack Best's obituary is on the Guardian website: https://www.theguardian.com/news/200...ianobituaries2

Albert P Clark, USAF - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_P._Clark

Flt Lt(or Sqdn Ldr?) Wladyslaw Gnys (P1298) - http://bbm.org.uk/airmen/Gnys.htm

Phil Lamason, DFC*, RNZAF - https://www.phillamason.com/the-story

Regards

Simon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wwrsimon For This Useful Post:

Resmoroh (14th June 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Some "New Customers" - Can You Check Them Out Please

Hi Peter,

Lt/Col Albert Patton Clark was attached to 412 Squadron for familiarisation with the ETO. On 26 Jul 42, he was part of a fighter sweep (Rodeo 81) that encountered FW190s over Abbeville and was shot down 'thus becoming the first 8th AF fighter pilot to be shot down over Europe. Taken prisoner, his captors being somewhat baffled by his American uniform and his high rank.'

Sources vary on the aircraft; either EN784 or BL964; The 412 Sqn ORB is very hard to read, but it looks like the number may have '964' hand-written next to the typed serial.

Apparently he was sent to Stalag Luft 3 - possibly because they didn't know what else to do with him - where he was indeed involved in the Great Escape

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks

Default Re: Ferry Command POW Details Requesred

Quote Originally Posted by bvs View Post
    There are a few details on the Catalina loss on this website.

http://moonscourse.blogspot.com/2014...inisterre.html

So it is possible they were 'lured' close to the coast by spoof Wireless Signals,in 'North Atlantic Cat' Don MacVicar attributes some of the spoof signals to U Boat Signals at Brest,I am not sure if he mentions Ed Stafford in the book - I will have a look later.
    Just for clarity, Catalina FP138 was not lured off course by spoof wireless signals. The Catalina and crew were subject to extreme weather conditions during the final stages of the delivery - "a storm of exceptional severity", "the highest wind gust on record during that day" (Met Office archive ref. MWR-1943). A series of unforeseeable events within the cockpit / ground comms and aircraft damage took FP138 off course and into direct contact with the Luftwaffe (out of Morlaix) and ground forces in occupied France.
    Captain Ed Stafford is mentioned in North Atlantic Cat (page 135). Don McVicar also mentioned Ed Stafford in personal correspondence with 'Slim' Jones although I don't believe he knew him personally.