Thread: PFF Mosquito trials for No. 2 Group Mosquito raids, March 1944

Thanks

Default PFF Mosquito trials for No. 2 Group Mosquito raids, March 1944

Hello

In March 1944, Mosquito Squadrons of No. 2 Group, in particular No. 21 Squadron, tested high level bombing on Noball targets in France, led by a PFF Mosquito using Oboe.

I suspect the PFF Mosquito to belong to No. 109 Squadron, but their ORB is not really clear about that. Experiment started on 1st March 1944 on Foret du Helle.

I'm more specifically interested in the 19 March 1944 mission against Noball XI/A/84 Bouillancourt-en-SÚry. Two Mosquito of No. 109 Squadron bombed point 51░58N 01░37 1/2E on AR5513, but this position is off Lowestoft !

Thanks for pointers, as I don't have No. 8 Group (PFF) ORB for that period, or its appendice, which would clear up the case.

TIA

Joss

Thanks

Joss the 8 Group ORB shows it was an attack on that site, only two Mosquitos were involved from 8 Group. This appears to be an early Oboe Leader trial as it mentions that one of the Mosquitos bombed “on leader’s signal” (usually a flare fired out the window by the Navigator). The 8 Group ORB says he bombed “with the main formation” from 20,000 feet. The co-ordinates in the 109 ORB are likely a typo, the longditude matches the actual location of that site, the latitude does not. Oboe Leader ops were daylight and the following formation (usually 6 to 12 aircraft) flew in echelon following closely behind the leader. They would bomb on seeing the flare or the leader’s bombs being dropped.
    The operation on March 1st was also an Oboe Leader operation and the first daylight operation for the squadron.
    It looks like other Oboe Leader attacks were done on the 6th, 8th (two formations), 15th 17th & 18th.
    I don’t have the Pathfinder Monthly Summary for March but the April one states “Oboe had to further prove it’s versatility by leading small formations of Mosquitoes from the Tactical Air Force in daylight on precision targets in France. The very effective weapon of Oboe in a 4,000 pound bomb carrying Mosquito was used to very great effect during the month and the number of this aircraft becoming available bodes ill for the enemy’s small vital targets in the coming months”.
    Cheers
    Last edited by David Wallace; 9th February 2019 at 19:08.

Thanks

Hello Dave

Thanks for confirmation. It was my understanding that only the first PFF Mosquito was guided by Oboe. I would have thought the second was a deputy / spare, but the wording in the ORB really meant it dropped its bomb on signals from the leader, as did the six from No. 21 Squadron.

Indeed the 2nd T.A.F. daily log shows several such missions in March and April 1944. I haven't yet copied May 1944.

Thanks for confirming the target as Bouillancourt-en-SÚry.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Joss - You are correct - the Oboe Leader would be the only one using the Oboe set on the target run, the Oboe reserve would follow closely behind him. If the Leader had an Oboe failure on the run down the beam, the controllers at the two ground stations in England would know instantly & transmit the two letter call sign of the Oboe reserve. The reserve would then switch on his Oboe set and lead the formation the rest of the way down the beam to the release point. The original leader would drop back and bomb visually with the formation, just as the reserve would do if the Leader had a good run.