Thread: Co-ordinates for code ZCAH2207 in March 1941

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Co-ordinates for code ZCAH2207 in March 1941

Hi all,

I am looking for help with decoding of code ZCAH2207 into co-ordinates used on 21. 3. 1941 while returning from Lorient, i.e. I suppose some place over France or Over the Channel.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi

I don't recognise that coordinate format but if it was just AH2207 it would be in the sea around 30 miles west of Bordeaux at 44 57 50N, 2 27 23W.

The reference AH is within the "French Lambert Zone 3" area - possibly the "ZC" refers to that.

ATB

Mike
    Last edited by lancasterlm342; 11th February 2019 at 10:17. Reason: Additional info

Thanks

Hi Mike, thank for your effort.
    I know that two letter always stands for degrees and two numbers for minutes.
    Ross has helped me in the past to decode some of those for some CC Squadrons but as the letter combination differs time to time it is difficult to find correct answer.

Pavel

Thanks

Hi Pavel

The two letters refer to a 100km X 100km square and the numbers eastings and northings. This link is a very useful resource as it shows where all the squares are and has a "coordinate converter".

www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-overview.php

Hope this is useful - I have used it many times and it is very accurate.

ATB

Mike

Thanks

Hi Pavel

This appears to be the special alphanumeric codes assigned to Maritime and FAA squadrons.

From notes I made when looking at 15 Group ORB a while back, in Jan’41 letters ZC equated to 49N and AH to 04W. Based on the premise of the codes not changing for some time and that the sighting was always with a latitude south and longitude west of the target, this would give 49 deg 22 min N (49.366667 decimal) and 03 deg 53 min W (03.883333 decimal). I appreciate there is a gap of several weeks between the codes I noted and the date of your incident, so hopefully Ross might be able to pass comment or have some more timely data.

You don’t say the squadron or the subject being reported, however if it is off significance then it should be reported in the relevant Group ORB who might mention the code ‘in clear’ in the accompanying narrative. Possibly also in the appropriate Station ORB.

Kind regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Mike - this is different scheme than the converter is able to convert.

Pierre - thank you for your informative post. I agree that those dates are so close that the codes may have the same meaning at the time.
    I have only one question - if you stated AH was 04W why do you decode the code as 03 deg 53 min W and not 04 deg 07 min W as I suppose it should be?

There is no secret with the squadron - it was 311 Sq so No. 3 Group as you have suggested. But as it was just a position noted by the navigator on the way back without anything extraordinary or any sighting, I am afraid it would not be noted in group ORB nor in the station ORB.

Pavel