Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Failed To Return - Airmen Died In The Second World War 1939-45. (Books)

Thanks

Hello,

Apologies Gentlemen, I thought the thread had run its course.

Jagan,

Patchy, at best. The first three names don't rate a mention at all. Here is what Hobson has on the other two:

Arjun, Enrolled Follower, Indian Air Force (5136), India/Burma, 08 June 1942, Died, Abowala, Mirpur, Kashmir, Delhi/Karachi 1939-45 War Memorials (p.187).

Baldev Krishnan Nanda, Flight Lieutenant, Indian Air Force, India/Burma, 10 November 1942, Died, Age 35, Delhi/Karachi 1939-45 War Memorials (p.335).

Paul,

I have Part 2: Which covers A to B. What did you have in mind?

Col.

Thanks

Col

Thanks just a couple of queries on some South African personnel if they are covered

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post

Jagan,

Patchy, at best. The first three names don't rate a mention at all. Here is what Hobson has on the other two:

Arjun, Enrolled Follower, Indian Air Force (5136), India/Burma, 08 June 1942, Died, Abowala, Mirpur, Kashmir, Delhi/Karachi 1939-45 War Memorials (p.187).
    Baldev Krishnan Nanda, Flight Lieutenant, Indian Air Force, India/Burma, 10 November 1942, Died, Age 35, Delhi/Karachi 1939-45 War Memorials (p.335). .

I think neither of the above two entries satisfies our 'standard'.

Nanda died due to an illness - though no further details on what unit and how.. Arjun is given in CWGC as 28 Sqdn RAF but no mention in the sparse ORB.

So we still got work to do!

Thanks

Col

Thanks

Can you see if there is anything EXTRA? on the following 3

like names and causes of death

SUSARA M.ALBERTS F/264819
    Women's Auxiliary Air Force (S.A.A.F.) Died 1946/04/09
    (assuming it goes onto 1946)

And

BOTHMA A M 21 Women's Auxiliary Air Force (S.A.A.F.) died 28/11/1942 #F/268935

Lieutenant
    BADENHORST L South African Air Force died 14/03/1945 who was killed in action, collided with HD547 during raid, Pontebba, crashed, in Martin B-26 Marauder Mk III #HD461

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

Hobson has the following:

Alberts, Air Woman, Susana M, South African Women's Auxiliary Air Force (F264819), South Africa, 09 April 1946, Died, Died after being discharged from the South African Women's Air Force, Age 23, Mossel Bay, Cape Province, South Africa, Brandwag Cemetery, Western Cape, South Africa. (p.60).

Badenhorst, Lieutenant Lodewyk, South African Air Force, (205592V), Pilot, 30 Squadron, South African Air Force, Iesi, Italy, Mediterranean, 14 March 1945, Killed in Action, Marauder III, HD461, Collided with Marauder HD547 of 30 Squadron, South African Air Force over Pontebba during a raid, 1 of the crew survived and was captured, crew of HD547 survived, Udine Cemetery, Italy. (p.286).

Bothma, Air Woman A M, South African Women's Auxiliary Air Force (F268935), South Africa, 28 November 1942, Died, Age 21, Beaufort West, Cape province, South Africa, Cape Town (Maitland) Cemetery, Western Cape, South Africa. (p.796).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 19th February 2019 at 00:39.

Thanks

Col

Most Interesting

Hobson has fully ID'd the man - I could not

I can not find a cause of death of either of the women, nor their names

Your book may probably fix around 8 outstanding SAAF names then (if all as good as Badenhorst)

Many Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Default Failed to Return

I always feel that I am a bit off line on this board with regard to the strong (growing stronger?) genealogical focus on personal biography issues that seem to pre-occupy the small but significant group of most active members. With all the hard work that goes on here I was gobsmacked to see recent additions to the Naval and Military Books website https://www.naval-military-press.com...ainst-germany/
    A series of ten volumes over 9000 pages (300) entitled “FAILED TO RETURN - AIRMEN DIED IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-45 The Roll of Honour of the British, Commonwealth and Allied Air Services” by Chris Hobson (also available on DVD at 125).

Did anyone know this was going on? Is Chris Hobson a member of RAF Commands? Is any member in touch with this project?

Steve
    Last edited by SteveBrooking; 9th September 2019 at 19:23.

Thanks

Steve, You raise some very interesting points here. It is extremely probable that this project is a condensed re-hash of the CWG WW2 air force casualties of which there are currently 124362 entries in total. If the book runs to 9000 pages that means there will be roughly 15 entries per page. If you take the dates of WW2 literally as starting 3rd September 1939 to VE day 8th May 1945 it means 116146 an average of 13 per page or finally 3rd September 1939 to VJ day 15th August 1945 it means 118568 and average of just over 13 per page. I cannot see with the limited space on offer there will be further detail than that offered by the CWG. Without buying a copy (and I won't) I cannot see how there is space for much more 'research' into facts not already on the CWG site. Researching the dead is easy, identifying the survivors and their stories is the challenge.
    Just my views thanks
    Chris

Thanks

Hello,

Just a few words to bring you up to speed.

The "Failed To Return" series of books by Chris Hobson have been available for at least 12 months. Naval & Military Press, at the cessation of their latest sale, introduced the DVD you are referring to. It has only been up on their site for about a week. The books themselves have been on sale at The Book Depository, Amazon and various other outlets for ages.

I personally, bought Part 2 (A-B), to assess its value to me. My brief assessment of the volume that I purchased was non-critical of the content. I explained that most of Hobson's efforts complements the work we have been doing here for a long, long time.

Where our efforts were far superior to Hobson's, was the thorough way we analysed the data available (we have the luxury of time and space). Where we left Hobson in our dust, is with the work the late Henk Welting, and later Alex Smart, and members of this Forum have put in digging up the past.

One major drawback of Hobson's work was the fact that if a person died of illness, or anything else for that matter, most of what you get from Chris Hobson is a simple "Died". Not always, but in about 90% of the casualties mentioned.

One other fault with Hobson's work was the way he presented the casualties. He mentions one, and one only, of a casualty which might have had many more related deaths associated with it. You would never know from reading his books. This fault has been remedied somewhat by the introduction of the DVD.

After purchasing Part Two and comparing what we had here on the Forum, I decided against making such a massive investment in buying the rest of the series when a lot of similar material has already been posted here. Personally, over the last 9 months, I have contributed approximately 15-20 entries from Part Two on this very Forum (with due accreditation).

I will be buying the DVD for personal use, because of the search capabilities, which were sorely lacking in the books. Understandably, the price will put a lot of people off.

I have several of N&MP's DVDs, including the aforementioned Chris Hobson's, Airmen Died In The Great War 1914-1918, which is a powerful tool, when used properly.

Why did N&MP chose not to put the books up on their own site for so long? Well, ask them.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 10th September 2019 at 05:53.

Thanks

Apologies to all I must be getting even more addled than I thought! I do not remember this thread at all....