Thread: PAED Montreal - 1943

Thanks

Default PAED Montreal - 1943

Hello friends,
    Do you have somebody info about number which was assigned to PAED „Pre-Aircrew Education Detachment“ in Montreal? In the name of this unit is mentioned name McGill (Did they mean Mc Gill Universtity in Montreal? Why?) And finally what was the concrete purpose of this unit?
    TIA
    Munro

Thanks

Default PAED Montreal

Munro,

While not mentioning Montreal this website does talk about No 20 PAED in Saskatchewan:

www.yxe.ca/about/documents/05Chapter2Historydone.doc

I could not get the page to open as a document but by clicking on "View as html" it did open.

It states that "No. 20 PAED upgraded recruit's education to meet standards for aircrew"

In reviewing the service file of one RCAF tail gunner I noted he had to attend a similar class to upgrade his basic skills like mathematics etc (he had quit school at age 16) before he was sent off for aircrew training.

Dave

Thanks

This is from memory, I may be able to find more specifics after some digging.

The PAEDs were established when the RCAF realized their high education standards were forcing them to turn down keen and fit applicants, who didn't have any post-secondary education (for aircrew), or hadn't finished high school (for ground crew). These people were promised a chance to re-apply, if they raised their education standards at a PAED. I don't remember if they were actually in uniform or on the payroll while there, but the schools were government funded. They were usually located in existing education facilities (like McGill).

Again from memory, the courses could be tailored to meet specific short comings, and the time in the PAED thus varied from one individual to the next.

Thanks

Bill & Dave,

thank you for explanation - In this case McGill University, Montreal must provided this kind of education for RCAF recruits. Is there any idea about Number of this PAED?

Munro

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Munro

McGill was No. 9 PAED

For interest

No. 2 was Edmonton
    No. 4 was University of British Columbia
    No. 18 Queen's University
    No. 20 University of Saskatchewan
    NO. 23 University of Toronto

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Hi Eddie,

thank you very much for information, which really helps me.

Munro